Beautiful cut crystal vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bluemoon, Feb 11, 2017.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Height: approximately 12 inches.

Age?

Screenshot_2017-02-11-15-25-20.png Screenshot_2017-02-11-15-25-23.png Screenshot_2017-02-11-15-25-26.png Screenshot_2017-02-11-15-25-29.png

lauragarnet and quirkygirl like this.
  2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

The pictures are a little blurry, but that looks like pressed glass, not cut glass. The edges look smooth and not sharp.

lauragarnet likes this.
  3. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

There are no seams and the corners are quite sharp, the pictures may not show it. Some of the patterns are slightly asymmetrical and just enough different from each other to be cut glass.

Cut crystal can also have rounded corners if they've been smoothed out. That's not the case here though.

lauragarnet likes this.
  4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Depending on what you are using to take photos, if you take them from a bit further away and then crop, you sometimes get a clearer image.

lauragarnet and bluemoon like this.
  5. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

It looks European to me and likely post WW2. A lack of seams does not meant cut or blown as they can be polished out especially if the glass is cut. Blanks with molded major miters in the mold were often used for for cut glass patterns towards the end of the AB period and still are.

lauragarnet likes this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Waterford is known to do this type of rolled top. I would start there.
    It doesn't appear to have the sharp cuts of older Waterford. However, the wear on the bottom gives it some age. Maybe 1980s?
    upload_2017-2-11_7-39-26.png

lauragarnet likes this.
  7. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

I agree...first impression I had was 1970s-80s Waterford...

lauragarnet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted