Beadwork leather pouch.

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by J Dagger, Sep 12, 2023.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Not mine but curious to hear thoughts on it. Condition not great. Is it NA made? Age? Origin? 85A36496-80DB-4455-BCE7-D171E7BF7CA1.jpeg 35F828CC-29EF-499C-A6A8-26D27CD9CF74.jpeg 5DABC668-C0C6-4F96-869E-8C1EBBEA9874.jpeg EEAC3A59-5F7B-4015-A4AB-6D8C72CEC98B.jpeg

2. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

I don't understand the torn/very unevenly cut appearance to some of the leather edges. The stitching seems very strange and haphazard. The fringe attachments say craft item to me (tied on). I'm leaning toward not NA, though I could be wrong.

Any Jewelry, komokwa and J Dagger like this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Probably not Native American. The structure is confusing, and I can't ID the type pf leather from the photos. How big is it?

The beadwork has a West African esthetic, reminiscent of kente cloth.

Any Jewelry, komokwa and J Dagger like this.
  4. J Dagger

Those were sentiments to a T. I don’t know enough not to verify though and wouldn’t want let something slide away being wrong.

komokwa likes this.
  5. J Dagger

I don’t think size was shared and I didn’t see it in person. The leather didn’t look right to me. The beadwork didn’t look NA to me but was kind of interesting which was part of the reason I bothered asking.

komokwa likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not any NA design I'm aware of....
    no finesse....too many colors.....and what is it....
    a pouch.....a sheath...... a one slice pizza box ???:playful::playful::playful::playful:

it's not a strike a light...

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with the others, not NA.
    And while it could be native to another culture, the look and execution aren't that great.

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'm getting a hippie vibe.

9. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

There was another issue I meant to point out. The backside of the beaded areas would typically be much tidier if NA. A lazy stitch would be used in a way that there would not be the long exposed traverses of thread. The thread would only go a very short distance as the next row would begin right next to where the last row ended. And a skilled beader would only go halfway into the leather, so you wouldn't even see the short traverses of thread.

10. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

smallaxe and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted