Beads, for your edification and perhaps ID. ;)

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ownedbybear, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Hi chaps

Two vintage bead strings to look at. One, I think, is perhaps dyed stone - they're green, irregular and cold to the touch. However, the colour goes all the way through and there are metallic flecks. Not that old, I think, as they're on a nylon thread.

The other is odd. It looks and behaves like amber, but I've not seen swirled butterscotch and clear. The absence of bubbles makes me think not reconstituted amber either. It fluoresces under UV, has no mould lines, warm to the touch, and is fairly light. Older thread and clasp, too.

Any thoughts, please?

123A.jpg 123B.jpg 123C.jpg 123D.jpg 144A.jpg 144B.jpg

mymysharona43 and tyeldom3 like this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

My only thought is that I love them, especially the amber one. :)

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

If you can take one of the "Amber" ones off and put it in a teacup of water it should sink, if it does sink take it out and add 4 tablespoons of salt, stir it and replace the bead and it should float.

4. Ownedbybear

I can't take the amber ones off, but I've done all the other amber tests - I own a fair bit of the stuff. ;) These are just weird, though.

The green ones do rather remind me of some old Egyptian faience ones.

PS: When I say all, I do NOT mean hot needle.

gregsglass likes this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The green ones sorta look like turquoise ?

6. Ownedbybear

They're definitely not turquoise, the structure isn't right, if you see what I mean. In places, there's no colour and that reveals a sort of stone or pottery looking finish.

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think the green ones are hand made beads. Probably from crushed turquoise or howlite that was dyed, then mixed with epoxy or resin. Thus the different colors and the high sheen. Also the reason they are not the same size or consistent in shape.

With the gold bead separators, I'd guess the date to 1980s or later.

The brown look interesting.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  8. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Bear, your pictures are wonderful.:)

9. Ownedbybear

Whoops, sorry, meant to reply. ;) Thanks cluttered - the crushed stone idea makes sense - they're nicely enough done, especially as they only cost thirty cents! The brown, I'm keeping, I like them, the green will end up with a friend who wears that colour a lor.

Tyeldom, thank you - I've a Panasonic Lumix which I love. It does macro brilliantly, even in ordinary light.

Draft saved Draft deleted