Bavaria Stein - Maker?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Oct 30, 2015.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello everyone - normally I avoid steins (generally they're hard to move) but I made an exception for this one. It stands about 8 1/4" tall and has marks on both the lid and the base. Does anyone recognize them? I'd guess 1970's - 1980's on the date. I can supply more pictures if that will help. Thanks very much!
    Don

IMG_20151030_114745815.jpg IMG_20151030_114801952.jpg IMG_20151030_114906822.jpg IMG_20151030_114930307.jpg

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The fittings are pewter, but I really do not think a maker would help you much. It is what it is, a seriously over the top tourist souvenir. An afficionado of kitch would probably love it. But not pay a lot for it.

3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, afantiques! Just as I suspected...
    Don

4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Steins with the Neushwanstein Castle are probably one of the most numerous souvenir from that corner of the world. I have an all pewter one that as af said is "seriously over the top." Our daughter brought it home to me about 25 years ago from her tour.

At the moment I can't ID the maker of yours, and af said probably wouldn't help much, but a maker's name might attract a mite more attention to an auction. The following is no doubt not news to you, but in case not.... An angel (yours is the Angel of Justice) is a common device use in European pewter touchmarks. "Fein Zinn," sometimes written only as F.Z., is/was used in Austria, Germany, Hungary and Switzerland on pewter with little or no lead.

--- Susan

5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi Ladybranch - thank you - actually that is mostly new information for me. I knew Fein Zinn but I was unaware how widely it was used. I also did not know about the angel mark being a common device. Most appreciated! I've decided to price it for the mall rather than try to auction.
    Don

Draft saved Draft deleted