Bauer USA Vase, no Atlanta, LA or Pottery - Age?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bakersgma, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Found this pretty vase at an estate a couple weeks ago and have added it to my "green pottery collection." (Doesn't everyone have a color that they can't get enough of? :playful:)

It doesn't really matter, but I'm curious about when this would have been made. Lehner's entry on Bauer is pitifully short, so I tried all the appropriate research links here. Only 1 briefly mentioned that Bauer USA (without Atlanta, Los Angeles or Pottery in the mark) would be in the 1930's, but is that right or just a guess? I also tried to find this shape in the myriad of Bauer listings on eBay to no avail.

It's about 8 1/2 inches tall, flared from a roughly 3x3 base to 7 3/4 inches at the opening. The marking is very shallowly incised, under glaze. Both sides have identical "wrapping" (see pictures.) The second picture shows the truest color.

Any thoughts or should I just give up and enjoy it? :happy:

Bauer Vase 3.jpg Bauer Vase 2.jpg Bauer Vase Mark.jpg

2. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

Shown in my Bauer book from a catalog reprint Feb, 1 1958

Bakersgma likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Cool! Thank you Rose!

wildrose likes this.
  4. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

absolutely. glad to finally be able to help you for a change!!!

5. Bakersgma

That's the nice thing about a group like this - so many different interests and resources. Everybody needs help with something and gets a chance to return the favor. Pay it forward! :D

yourturntoloveit and wildrose like this.
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Bakersgma,
    Be careful since Bauer is being made again by someon else. The quickest way to tell the difference is the bottom mark for Bauer is raised instead of being incised. There are a few tumblers and bowls with the incised mark but they have no size numbers or model numbers. The old had size or model #s.
    greg

7. Bakersgma

Thanks for the tips, Greg. :)

This "collection" is very informal and besides the "green" requirement (and even that allows for any shade of green,) the only "rule" is that the pieces must be cheap. I started with pieces that had belonged to older relatives and obviously those were free. This vase was 6 bucks. The most I've spent was $10 for the creamer and sugar to add to the McCoy Ivy teapot I had found elsewhere for $5. :cool:

I've got 2 Shawnee, a Hull, a variety of Brush McCoy suspects, another Bauer (and yes the mark is incised not raised), a Camark pansy arranger that was my mothers, a Frankoma creamer, a Weller custard cup, one piece marked with the logo used by both Nelson McCoy and Mount Clemmons, a Haeger that still has most of its green foil label, a few with just numbers or nothing at all and, just because it has green leaves , a pale blue Roseville White Rose vase that I got for 50 cents because it has a hairline crack on the reverse side. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted