Featured Batak Indonesian ritual bracelet?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Hinarushi, Aug 7, 2024.

1. Hinarushi

Hinarushi Member

Hello everyone! I have acquired an old batak bracelet. It looks like it's made out of brass, it's lightweight for its size, as it's hollow. On the Internet I've found that this might date around 1900 and was used in rituals in Indonesia.

Does anyone know anything about this kind of bracelets? :)

IMG-20240807-WA0132.jpg IMG-20240807-WA0134.jpg IMG-20240807-WA0131.jpg IMG-20240807-WA0133.jpg

IvaPan, wlwhittier, judy and 3 others like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

South Asian from the construction. Not sure on the age; I'd bet @Any Jewelry would know more that than I would. She's the resident Indonesia wonk.

IvaPan, wlwhittier, judy and 3 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful bracelet. The style is not Batak, but from Palembang, on the southeastern tip of Sumatra. I have one too, which I may have posted on the forum years ago.
    It is one of a pair, and would have been worn by brides or dancers. The shape makes me think it could be an ankle bracelet. Indonesians are generally small, and dancers and brides are young. Girls start dancing when they are little.
    Palembang dance bracelets often have little metal bits inside, so they jingle when you dance.

The age estimate could be right, but it could also be a little later. But Palembang is a Muslim city, so I don't know where a ritual that involves bracelets would come in. Maybe they mean a wedding ceremony?

The technique of this Palembang beauty is repoussé, hammered from a sheet of metal.
    Batak bracelets are cast brass, occasionally cast precious metal. They are much more chunky and often shaped as a spiral.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2024
    Dessert58, IvaPan, J Dagger and 9 others like this.
  4. Hinarushi

Hinarushi Member

Wow, the history behind these type of bracelets is fascinating!! Thank you for sharing it with us AJ!

Draft saved Draft deleted