Basilius Besler print question

Discussion in 'Art' started by leo3an, Dec 3, 2017.

1. leo3an

leo3an New Member

Hello,

My wife and I recently bought two artworks from a thrift store. We really liked the artwork so we searched online and found out these are prints of Basilus Besler works.

Now they hang next to our kitchen table, but we are curious if these are recent re-prints or very old art works, that are worth a bit.

If anyone could shine an insight on these art works, we would much appreciate it. The paint on it does not look printed because some parts are unfinished. We have not taken the frame apart because, we have never done it and don't want to risk ruining it, even if it is not worth anything, because we like how it looks.

Thank you.

IMG_1063.JPG IMG_1064.JPG IMG_1065.JPG IMG_1066.JPG IMG_1067.JPG IMG_1068.JPG IMG_1069.JPG IMG_1070.JPG

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry and KingofThings like this.
  2. leo3an

leo3an New Member

More images here. Used a magnifying glass with the phone for zoominess.

IMG_2515.JPG IMG_2516.JPG IMG_1071.JPG

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome. leo3an! The framer's address includes a Zip Code which dates it to post-1963, so it's not like the prints have been inside the frames for longer than that.

This kind of botanical illustration was very popular in decorating circa 1970's - prints, fabrics, etc. I used fabric with one very similar to the first one you show to make dining room drapes in about 1973-4. Doesn't necessarily mean your images were printed then - but you won't know for sure without getting them out of the frames.

4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome!
    Please always for all photos >>
    ~
    FULL IMAGE.jpg

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Paper is not right for these to be originals.

6. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

It looks like there may be some hand painting in the last two photographs of the magnified white flowers. Definitely not earlier than late 19thc century or early 20th century. If earlier and printed on laid paper, it would have more value. As is and in the frame, under $100.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Zoominess..........I like that !

please go back and edit your pics...clicking on FULL IMAGE....

Draft saved Draft deleted