Basic protection for antique framed oil paintings

Discussion in 'Art' started by research, Apr 7, 2023.

1. research

research Member

This might be a strange question but I have an old framed oil painting. The frame has some issues that I am not ready to have fixed yet but I would like to put the painting out. The entire piece is roughly 18x24"

My question:
    Is there any kind of budget plastic encasement, sleeve etc that an entire painting could go into just to protect from dust, etc. (uv protection would be a bonus)?

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

What exactly do you mean - putting it out for sale? out on the curb? on your wall for display? How good does it need to look?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
  3. research

research Member

Personal display for myself. Does not need to look pretty. Just want to protect it in the short term before possible getting it restored, but would like to display it at the same time (if that makes sense).

Essentially, how there are protectors for ephemera, books, unframed artwork etc. I was just curious if something existed for framed art as well

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'd put it in a closet, facing a wall, and drape it with an old pillow case. Maybe stand it on something so it's not directly on the floor.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Do the issues prevent you from hanging it on the wall? Would the frame come apart?

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

What about plastic shrink wrap?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Sorry, @research, I should have noticed that you were new to the forum, and been a little less flippant with my initial answer. But as a rule, the more information you can give us the more helpful we can be.

I am not familiar with any standardized products such as this for framed paintings, as they are so variable.

If you do not have strict climate control, completely encasing anything can be problematic, potentially trapping moisture and any bad chemicals "off-gassing" from the object itself.

This is an important consideration. If the frame needs reinforcement to be secure, you might consider attaching a solid backing board, screwed to the back of the frame on all 4 sides.

For dust and UV protection, a 5 sided UV filtering plexiglas box (with a front and sides, but no back) might work, mounted on the wall over the painting. Ventilation holes could be drilled in the bottom edge of the box. Alternatively (and less expensively), a single sheet of plexi could be mounted using spacers to stand it out from the wall. You would have to come up with something else to close the sides to keep out dust - ideally something that would allow some air flow.

silverbell and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Just want to protect it in the short term;;;;;

a little dust........no worries
    uv..... keep it on a wall with no direct sunshine...
    u don't encase oil paintings...they have to breath

hang it and enjoy it......

BoudiccaJones and silverbell like this.
  9. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

What komokwa said. Unless you live in a place heavily populated by fruit flies, gnats, and other such, your painting will be just fine for quite a while. In fact, I have one oil painting, which has been living on my wall without a frame for seven years.

komokwa likes this.
  10. research

research Member

Thanks for the feedback everybody. Will hang it up in a lower light area and try not to be too precious with it!

BoudiccaJones and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted