BASEBALL SCENE AQUATINT -REAL OLD OR NEW OLD?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jan 7, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me if this is a original old aquatint - or a new copy of the original?
    It came out of my mom's storage & I know it's been in there for many years.
    PS - The paper is more yellowish like the 1st photo - on the close ups I clicked auto-correct & it made the paper look whiter than it is. It was also taken in direct sun.
    Thanks - I appreciate any help.

AA ART PRINT BASEBALL 1AA.JPG
    AA ART PRINT BASEBALL 2AA.JPG AA ART PRINT BASEBALL 3AA.JPG AA ART PRINT BASEBALL 4AA.JPG

Christmasjoy and AJefferson like this.
  2. journeymagazine

Also! The print measures 26" x 18"

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Apparently it's a Currier and Ives print, and you can buy them at Walmart. There must be originals out there, but the odds are against yours being one.

Does it say Currier and Ives on it?

4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Here's a blog post about Sidney Z. Lucas. It doesn't say he was affiliated with Currier & Ives, but I haven't done more research yet. Where did you find that info, @moreotherstuff ? It seems that Lucas may have lived too late for Currier & Ives to have used one of his prints. But I haven't verified dates. Maybe instead, you meant that Lucas copied a C&I print? EDIT: yep, that was it, apparently: http://www.milehighcardco.com/1930s_sidney_z__lucas_original__the_american_natio-lot44527.aspx -- This post indicates that Lucas "recreated" the print based on one by Currier & Ives. Not sure what that means, but he copyrighted it.

http://antiqueprintsblog.blogspot.com/2009/08/sidney-z-lucas.html

And check the comments below it... especially the one by Lucas's daughter

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Once again, I didn't see all the pictures. The scene pre-dates Lucas.

I searched Google Images, keywords only, for the second line of text, "Grand Match for the Championship at the Elysian Fields Hoboken". Lots of images show up.

I have not previously encountered a Lucas copy of someone else's print, but for all I know there could be hundreds.

Being Lucas, it's probably a colored etching - rotogravure. You can see in the photo that the "plate mark" is an embossed line added for effect.

It won't have Currier and Ives value, but the Lucas moniker shouldn't hurt. A curiosity at least. Ought to be worth more than the Walmart repros.

6. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

7. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  9. journeymagazine

That's what I thought. Everything I've found so far never mentioned c&I - but he got it from somewhere right? I don't think I saw anything about him being an artist - just a printer and businessman w/his galleries?

Draft saved Draft deleted