Featured Baroque or early 19 century ? or i am again on a wrong track ?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Irenka, Jul 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

Hello again,
    this time i have a table, which i don't know how to date it. We are thinking that it could be from baroque - but farmhouse table or maybe early 19th. century. We bought it here in Slovenia. It was missing a drawer, so the drawer isnt original. Maybe some of you have any idea, how i can date it..

Thank you

miza1 (Small).jpg miza2 (Small).jpg miza5 (Small).jpg miza3 (Small).jpg

kyratango, judy, Jaena and 1 other person like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I am not seeing Baroque, not the style and not the corresponding age.
    Early 19th century could be a bit ambitious too, but let's wait for the others.:)

judy likes this.
  3. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

I found similar table on advertisement site in our country and the seller is stating that it is peasant baroque...but how to trust an unoffical seller? miza-in-stola-kmecki-barok-slika-5052512 (Small).jpg

I know that it is a little ambitious to say that is baroque or early 19. century but hope is the last to die :)

judy and Jaena like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Well, at least you have comparison feet/legs that are the same! Question? Is the table top held on with anything other than the peg arrangement on the underside of your table?? That might help with dating it??

TABLE TOP-sharpen-Softness.jpg

judy, Jaena and Irenka like this.
  5. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

Table top is held on just wih four peg arrangement and it has no nails only wooden pins.

judy, Jaena, johnnycb09 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jaena

Jaena Well-Known Member

This table form is also considered a tavern table. Looks very old and beautiful!

judy and Irenka like this.
  7. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

Jaena thank you ! I think i found it! I found this table:
    Tim-Frankenburg-Antiques-18th-Century-European-oak-Tavern-table (Small).jpg
    I think that is fairly similar to ours. It is stated that it is 18th Century European oak Tavern table...

Figtree3 and Jaena like this.
  8. Jaena

Jaena Well-Known Member

Yes, that table is quite similar, but I think you can find even more similar tables online. It seems this kind of table is called many different things by different people - tavern table, work table, desk, side table, etc. It just registered with me right off the bat as a tavern table because I remembered the form from a handbook on American furniture. But of course, it can be used for many different purposes. You are right to want to know its age. You bought it in Slovenia, so you perhaps you should find a reliable expert in that country to date it for you by looking closely at the wood and overall state. Your local museum might be able to help you directly or point you in the right direction. Finding the right expert is important. Just a few of my thoughts. I am no expert!

Irenka likes this.
  9. David Kiehl

David Kiehl Well-Known Member

Your table is uniquely different than all other pictured tables, although it is in the style of. Please take close-up pictures of all of the wooden joints. the underside of the tabletop without the draw in and also all four corners of the draw & the bottom of the draw as well.

Irenka and Figtree3 like this.
  10. Jaena

Jaena Well-Known Member

The drawer was missing when they bought it and the current drawer is a replacement.

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

This statement applies to many parts of life. Thank you!

Let us know if you find information from other sources that can help in identification.

Irenka likes this.
  12. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

Today I will try to take pictures and share them with you and as Jaena said, unfortunately the drawer is not original as it was replaced, but how unusual that the lines on the wood match almost perfectly. Isn't that wonderful? :happy: Untitled-7.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
    Jaena, Aquitaine and Figtree3 like this.
  13. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with baroque whatsoever. 19th century would be right, and could be early as well as late 19th century, but a local carpenter's work rather than a cabinetmaker.

Any Jewelry and johnnycb09 like this.
  14. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

hmm...ok. I really would love to know how did you get to this cunclusion ? I know that baroque is far fetched, but in our region is also possible...

15. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Im not sure how "baroque" was ever applied to this very simple table. Google Baroque and look at the examples. I agree local carpenter.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

Yes i know it is very strange to say this could be baroque piece, i know what the luxury examples of baroque are, but you must look history of our nation, we were servants back in the days not even a nation, just a horse servant like they used to say, so authentic piece from baroque era in our country means simple farmhouse furniture that was most likely made by the man of the house. Some example from farmhouse/peasant baroque:
    prenos (2).jpg omara-kmecki-barok-slika-2094178.jpg
    Ok i know that we could say its just a furniture made in baroque era without specification that baroque really have, but the term is really cemented over here. So that's how it was applied to this table
    :)

Jaena likes this.
  17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Irenka, if you had a carpenter/cabinetmaker make that drawer, THAT'S a craftsman certainly "worth his salt"!!!!!!!!!!:singing::singing::singing::singing: NICE MATCHING!!!!

Irenka and Jaena like this.
  18. Jaena

Jaena Well-Known Member

Yes, that is an amazing job - matching up the wood grains like that!

Irenka and Aquitaine like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Most people were servants back in the day, or farm labourers, miners etc. Some were independent peasants, who had a hard and often dreary life. Craftspeople were often itinerant, traveled from place to place, and sometimes went without food or a roof over their head.
    Unfortunately sellers aren't always right (and often wrong).;)

A design can be used for centuries, and many Baroque designs are. That doesn't mean that a table in a certain style is of that period. There are other signs to look for, like the rich patina of the wood, and they aren't seen on you table. They are seen on the other tables.

BoudiccaJones and Irenka like this.
  20. Jaena

Jaena Well-Known Member

@Any Jewelry You don't see patina even on the table top?

Irenka likes this.