Barometer language and makers mark help needed

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Miscstuff, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Got a bunch of what I think are mid century barometers recently and I'm having trouble deciding if they are Swedish, Danish or Norwegian. I suspect the manufacturer may be German and a dial fitted to suit the end user. One is a "Fisher" which I think is a German manufacturer, one has a star mark impressed on the back that I can't identify and the other is unmarked.
    Tried using google translate for "Foranderligt" and without the "T" on the end it thought it was either Swedish/Danish/Norwegian. Put the "T" on the end and it spat the dummy.
    Any language experts out there???

Edit - I have highlighted the mark in black
    Cheers
    Stephen

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  2. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Danish. Regn Foranderligt Smukt translates in Danish to "Rain Changing Beautiful/Beautifully.

Here is a barometer on a Danish website. Note it has Regn Foranderlight Smukt.
    http://www.dba.dk/barometer-regn-foranderli/id-1027950866/

Here is an English translation of the webpage:
    http://translate.google.com/transla...950866/&hl=en&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=UTF-8

Here is Google translation. If you type in "Regn Foranderligt Smukt," select Danish, up comes "Rain Changing Beautiful/Beautifully."
    https://translate.google.com/?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en#auto/en/Regn Foranderligt Smukt

---Susan

KingofThings and Aquitaine like this.
  3. Miscstuff

Thanks Susan. One problem down.
    Does anyone know the manufacturers mark??
    Cheers
    Stephen

KingofThings likes this.
  4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the manufacturers mark?

Some men in a pointy topped shed somewhere.

I do not think it matters who you say made them.

I think they are 70s or 80s and you have a bunch of them because no-one else wanted to buy them.

I do have a marketing plan, though. Find a fan-club for Nordic Noir TV series like 'The Killing' or 'The Bridge' and offer them as props from the series. Bingo! $200 each, rather than the $5 they'd make at a flea market.

KingofThings, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  5. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Dunno; glad Susan got that stuff translated, or if I had one and the pointer was headed for "Smukt" I'm sure I'd be cowering in a corner of the basement, not wanting to get smukt.

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Danish is a pathological disorder of the throat. It is much easier to read than to speak. After 20 some trips there and lots of friends it is a beautiful country and people but the language.
    greg

judy and KingofThings like this.
  7. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

It's gonna be a smukt day :happy:

KingofThings and Aquitaine like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I like them , and think they are lovely...& make nice usable wall art !!

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Miscstuff

I think I'm up "Smukt creek" without a paddle trying to figure out who the maker was!!

10. Miscstuff

Found it after perving on thousands of thermometer rear ends on the web. The maker is "Gunnar Christiansen" and they seem to have existed for quite some time as they once made a thermometer that measured in Reamur and Celsius. Pity mine don't. Can't find much else about them at least not in English. Still looking.
    Cheers
    Stephen
    gunnar christiansen barometer-1.jpg gunnar christiansen barometer-2.jpg gunnar christiansen barometer-3.jpg

11. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Good work! After seeing your posting, I also hunted around for info/history on Gunnar Christiansen resulting in nothing. The only pages I found were those of barometers being sold and a mention of him on a barometer related forum. Even translating the webpages to English didn't provide any further history on the company. It seems the company was or may still be located in the city of Nykøbing Falster (Nykøbing F.), Denmark, a city in southern Denmark on the island of Falster. Falster is included in its name to distinguish it from 2 other cities with the same name.

--- Susan

Christmasjoy, cxgirl and komokwa like this.
  12. Miscstuff

Found a little more. The local museum says they disappeared from the phone books in 1980. They don't seem to know when they started.
    Cheers
    Stephen

Christmasjoy and cxgirl like this.
  13. Miscstuff

Christina Hansen from the local museum came through again and found a photo that shows what I think is the shop front for the factory with barometers and thermometers in the front window. The factory might be behind the shop or elsewhere. Not an expert in motor vehicles but would guess the photo to be from around the 1920s.
    Cheers
    Stephen
    D00064F4301#-1-small.jpg D00064F4301#-1-small-3.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

great photo...with a dawg pissing on the front window......:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

daveydempsey likes this.
  15. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

'perving' ??????????????????
    ~
    I doubt you'd find a barometer on one of THOSE sites.....but who knows....
    :wideyed:

Draft saved Draft deleted