Barometer by Cary, 181 The Strand, London. Date?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Phil Douglas, Nov 18, 2022.

1. Phil Douglas

Phil Douglas Member

This barometer belonged to my father. I thought he'd bought it new as a young man, but my investigations suggest it is nineteenth century, which he was not!
    It came in a round wooden case which was leather covered. That has suffered over the years, and I am hoping to get someone to replace the leather for me. The glass is broken, and if anyone has advice about how to replace that, I would be very grateful. (The diameter is a bit over 2.5".) The 'winder' moves the pointer you can see around, making it easier to see change. That has become a bit stiff, and I'm worried about it stripping the teeth of the cog.
    I found a link to a site with a photo of a similar device, but not identical.
    Any other thoughts from the experts out there? What date, does the serial number help? Should I get the silver plate touched up? Back SMALL.JPG 19_11_2022 small.JPG

2. Phil Douglas

Phil Douglas Member

By the way, the mechanism would seem to work perfectly, doing a comparison with a good electronic barometer.

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Figtree3, Phil Douglas and sabre123 like this.
  4. Phil Douglas

Phil Douglas Member

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

I'm just a researcher. I don't know anything about barometers. I did find this tidbit about age, though, I have no way to verify the accuracy of the information or to say if this was the same Cary. It states, though, that William Cary is likely to be the Cary barometer maker at various addresses on Strand.

"Cary was one of the best-known London barometer and scientific instrument makers in the latter part of the 18th century until his death in 1825. He was most probably William Cary who operated at various addresses in the Strand between 1786 and 1825. He was the younger brother of John Cary the cartographer and the uncle of George and John Cary. He was a pupil of Jesse Ramsden and became a renowned instrument-maker. His two nephews took over the business when he died in 1825 but because of his very high reputation, they retained the name of William Cary."

CARY, LONDON STICK BAROMETER Walwyn Antique Clocks

I agree these seem to be model numbers.

Here is a famous Cary barometer carried by Ernest Shakleton. Different Placement of the brand name and location
    Aneroid Barometer - Cary, London, Trans-Antarctic Expedition, 1914-1917 (museumsvictoria.com.au)

Figtree3 and Phil Douglas like this.
  6. Phil Douglas

Phil Douglas Member

The Cary family seem to have done well in the realm of scientific instrument, and their name was used over quite a long period (see link).
    The Shackleton example is lovely, and the similarities are quite strong. Unfortunately we can't see the serial number. But we can be pretty sure that it would be a recent model when it was bought for the expedition -- you wouldn't bring an antique along! So that gives an idea of the age.
    The case of the Shackleton example, which looks brand new, is a similar design to the case of my dad's, although that has suffered, and I am getting it re-clad in leather.
    Thanks for the research!

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

I think the Museum paid $22,000 for that one. I saw it was in an auction and that was sold price. What a wonderful thing to do for your dad.

Based on your link, yours must predate 1820 before the fire.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
  8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Find someone who repairs clocks, I sure they can fit a new glass for you.

Phil Douglas and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

Maybe see to the problem with the winder too.

Phil Douglas likes this.
  10. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

"An aneroid barometer is an instrument used for measuring air pressure as a method that does not involve liquid. Invented in 1844 by French scientist Lucien Vidi"

Sorta says everything above is wrong

"Nephews George Cary and John Cary Jr. continued to operate the optical and scientific instrument business at 182 Strand. They retained the business name “William Cary” for some time. George and John Jr. do not appear to have produced optical instruments. All accounts indicate that Charles Gould was the manager and head machinist for the Cary business. This would have been a logical arrangement, since Gould was an experienced optician, whereas the Carys were map- and globe-makers, who would have had very little practical knowledge of glass- or brasswork. In 1828, the William Cary business moved next door, to 181 Strand, possibly merging with John Cary Sr.’s mapmaking operation. An 1830 publication described the optician’s business as “J. Cary”. Upon John Cary Sr.’s death in 1835, he left the 181 Strand lease to sons George and John Jr. The 1841 Kelly’s Directory referred to the optical business as “William Cary”, suggesting that the boys returned to their uncle’s name. The business remained at 181 Strand for many decades and through several ownership changes."

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
    Phil Douglas likes this.
  11. Phil Douglas

Phil Douglas Member

I don't think the provenance of my one is quite so fine as the one the museum paid all that money for! Nice to know what they paid though...

The link is confusing, as they came back to that side and used the Cary name later, after the fire, if I understand it.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  12. Phil Douglas

Phil Douglas Member

The winder seems to have come good with some careful TLC.
    I've found a clockmaker in Adelaide, and he is going to fit a plastic 'glass', which is far from ideal, but an improvement on no glass.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

Glad to hear the winder worked itself out.

Phil Douglas likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted