Featured Barely vintage watch... need descriptive word

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Jul 3, 2024 at 3:04 PM.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

This watch is about 20 years old, just found another sold on Ebay at $150, so planning to list this one.

It was a friend's watch and I'm selling it for her. It's in very nice condition overall, fully working etc. The only real issue (and this is what I need help with the wording) is that the band has some "dirty areas". Fairly faint, but cleaning does nothing so feel the buyer is just going to have to live with them. This only on the band.

I'm one to describe everything I see in an Ebay auction.

Can someone think of better or more polished sounding wording than "dirty spots"? "Some discoloration" isn't really correct, makes it sound like fading. And "show's use" implies something a bit different. It's not a huge issue as you can see from photos below, but feel I need to lightly mention it.

Ideas for wording?

aneww.jpg

wa99b.jpg

wa99c.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"Soiled" is always better than "dirty."

Debora

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

wear and tear, scuff marks, dark spots???

bercrystal, johnnycb09 and Lucille.b like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the way the dots are lined...almost looks like it's in the plastic.....

Marote, pearlsnblume and Lucille.b like this.
  6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Age related storage toning to strap.

7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

BTW I think it is a pretty watch, not usually a lime person, but this one is fun.

Did you try that eraser wipe thing... if that is safe.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  8. Lucille.b

Ohhh, liking these suggestions! Thank you Deobra, Bear, Pearls, Komokwa and Davey! :):singing::kiss:

By chance my friend/watch owner is what I would call "a cleaning expert". I've told her she should have a podcast about cleaning hard-to-get-out stains, lol. Many a time I've texted her at odd hours... "BLOOD ON A WHITE CARPET, WHAT DO I DO??"

I'm sure she tried everything on the strap. She mentioned the "soiled" (thanks, Debora :)) areas and said that she had tried cleaning and it was "as good as it was going to get", so I don't think the magic eraser would budge this, but clever idea, Pearls. And Komokwa, it is sort of "in" the plastic, but something from use, maybe skin oils, who knows.

"Storage toning to strap" makes me sound like a genuine watch expert. :pompous: Thank you, Davey.

Luckily the crystal and dial seem very good, probably the most important part.

Off to list...

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

What Davey said. It looks old because it is old.

10. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

I wonder if there was also a friend who received a text message with "CORPSE IN THE LIVING ROOM, WHAT DO I DO??"?

11. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'd personally 'try' an art gum eraser on those areas if it's a 'sort of' soft band & see if it helps!! But not too aggressively..........

pearlsnblume, Marote and Lucille.b like this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

But...what about the body in the living room?

14. Lucille.b

I think my friend would also be the go-to person for this. She's a good listener. :)

15. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

“Small signs of use (or age) on strap but overall it looks good”

further down listing

“make sure to examine all photos”

I try to avoid using the words dirty or soiled unless something is straight up DIRTY. I use dusty in its place sometimes. You want to say it without saying it. Someone may see something described with “small signs of use”, see the photos, be ok, and buy. They may see “dirty/soiled” and just click the back button to look at another watch. Words are powerful. You don’t want to misrepresent anything but you don’t want to turn people away unnecessarily. I tend to want to over explain and shine a light on every little tiny thing too. There are many things I’ve bought that I may not have bought if the seller did that that I’m still happy with though if that makes sense. I’ve found that pointing out anything important and then just saying small signs of use/age, age appropriate wear, good vintage condition, good antique condition works. Just cover all the tiny stuff with a kind of general/vague term and remind people to examine all the photos. That seems to work well for me.

On a different note I once sold a lot that I described as “junk”. I went on to describe how bad the condition was and how it got that way. Still some bits worth saving though. All rusty and dirty. The buyer then complained about the condition of the “junk drawer” lot they bought. I never sold them a “junk drawer” lot, just a “junk” lot, but I guess they saw what they wanted to see.

kyratango, pearlsnblume and Marote like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Some age-related discolouration to strap?

I associate 'soiled' with something else. Much like "this watch had a little accident".:oops::shame:
    My compliments for such a diplomatic description.:playful:
    I won't ask....:nailbiting:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2024 at 6:53 AM
  17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think the question should be: "how fast can it be dealt with, and how much does it cost?".:angelic:
    And... "should we be worried?!!!".:nailbiting:
    :playful::happy:

reader, kyratango and Marote like this.
  18. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

I will check if there are any unsolved cases of missing people in Leiden...

reader, kyratango, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  19. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I’d go with age related discoloration on strap. I’d also mention that green is a wonderful accent neutral-flowers of all colors have green leaves and stems.

20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You could also mention that the manufacturer sells replacement bands.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted