Featured BARBIE DOLLS? 2 1966 MATTEL INC. - MALAYSIA & TAIWAN

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jan 30, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

These 2 dolls were in a bag - both for $3.50 - at a thrift store. I was able to see the Mattel Inc 1966 on the back of one so I bought them.
    But I'm not sure if they are Barbie's? Especially the one in a wedding dress; her arms are made in the shape of holding a tray - or she is going to dance the 'robot'!
    Also 1 is from Taiwan while the other is from Malaysia even though they are both by Mattel and were both made in 1966.

Is either a Barbie (or maybe a Skipper, Barbie's sister?) - if not who are they?
    Thanks!

TOY DOLL ANTIQUE BARBIE WEDDING DRESS MATTEL INC 1966 TAIWAN 1AA.JPG TOY DOLL ANTIQUE BARBIE WEDDING DRESS MATTEL INC 1966 TAIWAN 2AA.JPG TOY DOLL ANTIQUE BARBIE WEDDING DRESS MATTEL INC 1966 TAIWAN 4AA.JPG TOY DOLL ANTIQUE BARBIE WEDDING DRESS MATTEL INC 1966 MALAYSIA 1AA.JPG TOY DOLL ANTIQUE BARBIE WEDDING DRESS MATTEL INC 1966 MALAYSIA 2AA.JPG TOY DOLL ANTIQUE BARBIE WEDDING DRESS MATTEL INC 1966 MALAYSIA 3AA.JPG

cxgirl, Lucille.b and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I really don't know Barbies very well, and if they were mine, I'd have to be doing a lot of searching for info.

Let's get @sassafras on this.........she knows her dolls!

Lucille.b and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

judy, Lucille.b and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. Van_Poperin

Van_Poperin Well-Known Member

Barbie’s can be dreadfully confusing— I have a Mackie face that I’ve never been able to sell because I can’t ID her! The 1966 copyright thing is also misleading:

“In the world of doll collecting, actual 1966 Barbie dolls are a confusing rarity. The copyright on the Barbie dolls is not always the year that the doll was manufactured. In fact, many dolls with the 1966 copyright were actually manufactured in the 1980s and 1990s, which means they have little value to collectors.”
    - https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/identify-vintage-1966-barbie-doll-4080156

Your second Barbie there is one I grew up with in the early 90s. First one is earlier, but not the ski slope nosed face of the very first dolls from the 60s.

judy, Lucille.b and bluumz like this.
  5. R Ewing

R Ewing EclecticMomsAttic

Unusual to find them in such good condition!

judy likes this.
  6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

the older Barbie will have the mark on the butt
    DSC03485.jpeg

judy, i need help and Lucille.b like this.
  8. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

judy and Lucille.b like this.
  9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

That's a great chart for reference, CX.

I don't know Barbies, but one red flag for me was "Malaysia" and "Taiwan". Malaysia esp. I associate with more recently made items.

I think vintage Barbies are so tricky to buy for resale --sort of along the lines of "vintage baseball cards" or "vintage comics" as almost everyone and their brother knows they are collected.

judy likes this.
  10. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

I know about old Barbies, 80s is too new for me to have any idea,to be honest all the 80s ones look the same to me. ** EDIT...it's 1972 not late 60s, Sweetheart Satin ( or the other way 'round!)*** The top one is wearing a 60s Barbie dress though...she has a Superstar face. The other one's wearing an 80s outfit which can be worn inside out/both ways

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    Lucille.b, judy and KSW like this.
  11. BoudiccaJones

Why so? It's a copyright date, for the twisting waist.Makes perfect sense to me

judy and KSW like this.
  12. BoudiccaJones

No,not really...I walk past these at booties etc as they're unmovable. I've left many in better condition than these.

The Superstar faced one ( top one) is wearing 1972 Sweetheart Satin.I knew I knew the name, it just came back to me.

Lucille.b, judy and KSW like this.
  13. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Thank you Boudicca for your imput..............I forgot you were a collector of this type of doll....forget the name of the doll you do collect tho.

As you and another poster said, Barbie's can be complicated.....especially the newer ones.

I used to have access to a Barbie book at the shop I was in.....not sure if I left it there or took it home, but the info was not clear in much of it.

I too leave the newer Barbies at yard sales. I will pick up tagged Barbie clothing however.

14. BoudiccaJones

I also buy dolly clothes at every opportunity. I always manage to shift them. In fact I have rather a penchant for them myself.

The dolly I mostly collect is Sindy,she's sort of an English, less sophis version of Barbie I s'pose. I do like ole Barb but I only have a few,whereas I have HUNDREDS of my girl Sindy. I am knowledgeable-ish about old Barbies but as mentioned,the '80s ones are all of a muchness to me. After 1977 I really know very little. Not what I'd call an expert on the older ones either but I do have a scant knowledge x x x

15. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Good to know if any of us find an older Barbie.......or perhaps the re-make of the first Barbie.

16. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

It's Barbie!!! I didn't get an alert to to the thread yesterday. Sorry I'm late.

@BoudiccaJones :kiss: Bou got that wedding dress correctly ID'd. It's "Sweetheart Satin" #3361 from 1972. I think it was only available in a blister pack in the US, but I'd have to double check on that for certain. At any rate, the dress is older than the Barbie, since the Superstar face mold (slight dimples) started being used in 1977.

Without the original outfit on the second one it might be VERY difficult to ever ID her. Judging by the hairstyle (bangs) and makeup (fuschia lips & purple/pink eyeshadow) I'd say she's late 1980s. With the PTR hands, I'd wager a guess that she was one of the inexpensive "store exclusives" that were going around then. They were in Toys-R-Us, WalMart, Woolworth's, Winn Dixie, etc. Woolworth's had a line called "Special Expressions" that are fairly similar to yours.

They're a great pair for little ones to play with when they come to visit, but won't have any value for collectors. ;)

BoudiccaJones, SBSVC and Lucille.b like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted