Banker's Chair Help

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Christopher, May 18, 2018.

1. Christopher

Christopher Well-Known Member

I came across this old banker's chair restoration project today and was wondering if anyone had any insight. Its ALL wood instead of a normal cast iron screw post and was wondering if anyone knew how the mechanism would have worked so I can begin to figure out a restoration gameplan. Thanks.
    20180518_180709-1710x2280.jpg 20180518_181741-2268x3024.jpg 20180518_181923-2268x2339.jpg

Aquitaine likes this.
  2. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Looks like it can be set at any of three different heights using a missing steel pin. I can’t see inside the turret and there’s no explanation of it, so I’ll assume it is very simply-constructed and there’s no “mechanism” inside. Get a bolt of a diameter slightly less than the smallest hole (they’re probably the same) and long enough to reach almost completely thru the donut thingy. Set it at a height comfortable for you. Then you are done. Oh, paint the bolt black or brown. If you aren’t somewhere where you can get a proper bolt, give me the exact diameter and length you need and I’ll send you one that’ll work, you just pay shipping.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  3. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Gee! I understood every word Spring wrote!!!

4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

LOL! I understand your glee!

Aquitaine and yourturntoloveit like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I love the chair, but personally hate those tiny old wheels!!!!!

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Those are the originals; the chair is probably 100 years old and that's what they used. I'd find the right size bolt, give the chair a good polish, and polish the seat my my kiester.

Draft saved Draft deleted