Featured Bangles!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by LucyLocket, Jul 25, 2024.

1. LucyLocket

LucyLocket Well-Known Member

Just bought a job lot of mixed vintage & modern bangles and was happy to find these amongst them. Sadly the Czech hinged bangle with the Peking glass has one domed filigree piece missing and also the closure pin & chain which I'm hoping I can replace - will rummage through my spares & repairs to see if there is anything suitable.
    The domed filigree panels with the coral glass is stamped Tchecoslovaquia.
    I really like the enamelled bangle with the lotus (or waterlily) flowers & it is in very good condition so I will be wearing it.
    The brass leaves bangle had four tiny pearl beads wired to the central leaf originally but only two are left. There is a capital "E" stamped right inside the curved back part but I have no idea what that would mean.

20240724_165150.jpg 20240724_165345.jpg 20240724_165427.jpg 20240724_165959.jpg 20240724_165519.jpg 20240724_165731.jpg 20240724_165900.jpg

KSW, Marote, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The “coral” will be twenties into early thirties at the very latest. It was fashionable to use the French spelling.

KSW, Marote, bercrystal and 1 other person like this.
  3. LucyLocket

Th
    Yes, I was particularly pleased with that one. It's in very good condition with a working clasp too.

KSW, Ownedbybear and kyratango like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Can we see the rest? Sometimes you get Avon and sometimes WHOOPSIE.

KSW likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nice bangles, Lucy.
    I wonder if that bangle is actually from North Africa or the Middle East. The pin closure is not typically Czech, but it is found in North Africa and the Middle East.
    Those openwork domes are typically North African but occasionally seen in the Middle East as well.
    And the Middle East imported a lot of Bohemian/Czech glass for jewellery in the late 19th century and first half of the 20th century. North Africa did so to a lesser extent, but Czech glass beads and cabs can be found there too.

KSW and DragonflyWink like this.
  6. LucyLocket

That's interesting, thank you. I just assumed Czech because of the Peking glass cabs.

KSW likes this.
  7. LucyLocket

I've bought rather a lot of bangles lately! Don't see much Avon though I did find a pair of earrings in a recent lot - have never come across WHOOPSIE.
    Here are a few more of my latest finds - nothing wildly exciting!

20240726_195656.jpg 20240726_195738.jpg 20240726_195814.jpg 20240726_195855.jpg

KSW and komokwa like this.
  8. evelyb30

You might have some bakelite in that pile, and the one solid bangle in silvertone would have me getting the acids out just in case. The ones I'd check would be the orange mottled one at the far left in picture 3, the cream one at the far right, and those two translucent red bangles in the last pic. They may not be bakelite, but if you've baking soda handy, testing is quick and cheap. Might as well!

KSW likes this.
  9. LucyLocket

Don't think there is any Bakelite in this lot - the orange mottled one has a seam inside & is stamped Hong Kong, the cream & the two reddish ones also have seams & what I think of as a "pontil" mark inside though that probably isn't the right term! The solid silvery one is actually quite brassy - especially on one side where the silver colour has worn away.
    I took my chance buying a couple of large lots of mixed bangles very cheaply so I'm quite happy with the few amongst them that I really like! Of course all the seams & flaws don't really show in a photo so I think they look better than they actually are!

KSW likes this.
  10. evelyb30

Seams are a dream-killer for sure. No hope there.

KSW and LucyLocket like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted