Featured Bangles help please...

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by LucyLocket, Jun 18, 2023.

1. LucyLocket

LucyLocket Well-Known Member

I recently bought a bag of mixed costume jewellery in a charity shop. These two bangles were included and at first I assumed they were some sort of plastic but on looking closer I think they may be bone or even ivory. They are quite small and I can't get them on. The colour varies in my photos but they are quite a dark yellowish cream in reality. Would anyone be able to tell from my photos please? 20230618_163859.jpg 20230618_163331.jpg 20230618_163351.jpg 20230618_164830.jpg 20230618_165021.jpg

Figtree3, KSW, stracci and 6 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ivory. Lovely, and probably pre-Cites, but....

Figtree3, KSW, stracci and 5 others like this.
  3. LucyLocket

Thank you - I had a nasty feeling that might be the case. Think they are oldish - I don't want them but am not sure what would be the best thing to do with them now!

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I dunno, those sure look like schreger lines to me...........and I think the color for ivory looks right.....to ME.....but then there are others that know more than me!

20230618_165021-gigapixel-standard-scale-2_00x-sharpen-Softness.jpg

Figtree3, KSW, Potteryplease and 3 others like this.
  5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

No doubt for ivory:cyclops:
    You can't sell them, but give to someone, relatives or friends, who can put them on and wear them as a tribute to the long gone elephants:)

Figtree3, Marko, KSW and 7 others like this.
  6. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Technically you could probably sell them at your local auction house. Don’t imagine they’d bring more than $10-$20 but you’d get rid of them for something and someone that wants them would get them.

7. JewelryPicker

JewelryPicker Well-Known Member

Agree with above comments, definitely ivory

8. LucyLocket

Thanks for all your replies. I won't be selling them as it would seem wrong to profit from them. I certainly wouldn't wear them (even if I could get them on!) and I don't know anyone else who would be happy to wear them either. They will probably end up back in a charity shop!

Figtree3, KSW and Potteryplease like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They can't legally be sold where I live if the seller knows what they are. There's no reason you can't give it away though, that I know of. A charity shop couldn't sell them either, here, if they knew. OTOH if you have a Free section on Gumtree or Craigslist or Facebook or similar, I'll bet there's an ivory lover who would come get them.

Figtree3, KSW and kyratango like this.
  10. LucyLocket

I only mentioned that I wouldn't be happy selling them (even if I could) in response to the above reply.
    Obviously the charity shop sold them to me but I shouldn't think for a moment that they had any idea what they were. This is the shop selling bags of mixed costume/junk jewellery and I have found silver and even gold items in almost every one I have bought even though they supposedly check stuff! Yet they sell rubbishy cheap chainstore clothing at ridiculously high prices!

Figtree3 and KSW like this.
  11. evelyb30

I'd be bagging the bags too. Those clothes...nahh.

KSW likes this.
  12. JewelryPicker

JewelryPicker Well-Known Member

I’d be interested in them. If you were in the US, I’d certainly arrange for shipping. But I wouldn’t even consider taking the chance of them getting caught up in international customs

Figtree3 and KSW like this.
  13. LucyLocket

I'm in the UK & wouldn't risk sending them either!

Figtree3, KSW and JewelryPicker like this.
  14. J Dagger

Seeing that you’re in the UK my above comment is not even accurate as of last year. Not that it matters based on your intentions but here’s some info on the UK laws as of 2022.

This guy (David Harper) does lots of super entertaining and informative videos on antiques and the antiques trade. He is the best antique related person on YouTube that I’ve found. Can’t really stand any of the others I’ve seen. He’s also a TV personality on UK antique related television programs.

KSW, antidiem and Bronwen like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Harper is an idiot. He waffles nonsense about stuff and pays loopy prices. The number of times I’ve shouted at the tv when he picks up a bit of, oh, Chribska and calls it Murano. He did it with a modern Chinese vase the other day. The only worse one is Drew Pritchard.

those bangles, yes ivory. You might find a silver restorer would like them, they make new insulators for pots.

Figtree3, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Ditto. I don't even know what he is doing in the antiques business, but people seem to buy from him and he has a good banter on TV. He would probably do just as well in any other business he knows next to nothing about.

Roshan Ko and KSW like this.
  17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

He reminds me way too much of Dominic Cummings, too.

KSW likes this.
  18. Any Jewelry

:hilarious:
    Harper would probably do well in politics too. And that is not a compliment.

Aquitaine, KSW and Ownedbybear like this.
  19. J Dagger

I find his videos very enjoyable. If there’s anyone else that posts videos on the trade and antique world in general that are equally or more watchable I’d love to know. I like to put them on while I floss, brush, & stretch at night. I’ve definitely heard him say some highly questionable or downright ridiculous things as it pertains to values/prices and identification but he is still supremely watchable and likable imo, particularly relative to any other options I’ve found which was my point.

Peter Coombs has lots of great content but it’s entirely focused on Asian antiques, and almost entirely Chinese porcelains more accurately. I put him on a lot but I’m sometimes in the mood for a less focused watch.

Another guy from the UK called Michael Baggott makes some videos on silver that I like watching.

Those are the only three I’ve found that I enjoy watching. If there are some better options I’d love to know. It’s all relative and Harper is the best presenter of antique content on YouTube that I’ve come across.

Figtree3 likes this.
  20. evelyb30

I enjoy watching him too. Don't always believe him, mind, but when he's on his patch he's pretty good. It's fun when he's interviewing someone who really does have expertise on a subject. A game show he had on for a while, Getting It Right, once claimed the Georgian period stopped in 1830. Uhmmm, Queen Victoria didn't ascend the throne until 1837 if memory serves. What were the other seven years then? :confused:

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted