Featured Balloon-Shaped Paperweight, Unsigned: Murano, or ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wlwhittier, Jun 4, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

~4½" high, ~3" balloon diameter, ~2⅝" foot diameter; ~870 grams. There's no indication of age; no fine scratches on the foot, no soil...nothing. It seems an almost impossible task to create such delicate work in a viscous molten medium. If the artist was paid adequately just for their time, you would think it a very costly bauble.

I don't recall when or where it came to me...nor what I may have given to possess it. I do know why I got it, though: I'm fascinated by things with an odd number of regular decorative features, an' I snap 'em up when I find 'em! So 9 strands of red-centered white chevron sliced florets embedded in stunning blue ribbon, alongside 9 strands of spiraled many-filament white cushion. Why, oh why isn't it signed?

Is it Venetian? Is there anything about it to strongly suggest where...or when...it was made? Thanks for lookin'!

fullsizeoutput_9446.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9444.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9440.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9445.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9442.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9441.jpeg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

That is gorgeous ! I dont know why,but I thought French?

3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

4. Roaring20s

5. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Thanks...I misunderstood millefiori to be restricted to the very tiny flower shaped & multicolored cane in much smaller items; that's why I didn't use the term for this one.

6. Roaring20s

This type of glass may be generalized just as a photocopy is called a xerox. Collectors of glass will know better than I.

7. JunkshopJim

JunkshopJim Active Member

'Latticino' seems a good search term to specify this type of design.

8. Roaring20s

bercrystal and judy like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Latticino and millefiori doorstop or doorknob weight. Might well be Italian.

10. Renee Yancy

Renee Yancy Active Member

11. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Latticino refers to the twisted threads, millefiori, the star "flowers". The "flowers" are made by making canes, long stretched out pieces that are cut/broken into short pieces and arranged in nearly molten form.

Figtree3 and Boland like this.
  12. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

It’s a very cool and pretty item.There was a vaguely similar paperweight on a episode of Burstow & Hewett. But really more like a glass ball on little pedestal/stand and not balloon shape. That one had a ‘hidden’ date (which was also cool)

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted