Backstamp Date Noritake Coffee Set

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by nouter10, Feb 9, 2018.

1. nouter10

nouter10 New Member

Screenshot_20180210-090002.png Screenshot_20180210-085608.png Hi, I purchased this Noritake Coffee Set. It has an art deco appearance. On the backstamp (see photo) it says Valiere. I searched on the internet and a website said the Valiere pattern was made between 1957 and 1966. In my opinion it looks older than this, probably 1930 or 40s. Also the 'M' sign in the middle of the wreath was replaced in 1953 by an 'N', which also suggests that this set might be older. Just wanted to get other peoples thoughts? Thanks, Nathan

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Replacements shows 3 different Valiere lines, all of which seem (according to them) to have been produced from the early 30's until sometime in the 50's. But it also seems that the handled pieces they show pictures of have more rounded handles than yours. The company may have changed blanks at some point. Or perhaps, since I didn't see "coffee set" pieces, this handle shape was reserved for this set.

I'm no expert, but I would have thought 30's as well.

yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  3. Bakersgma

I don't know which site you saw for the marking, but I just checked the Noritake section of Gotheborg and it also mentions the switch to the N in 1953.

yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Nathan, the Replacements site, which is not infallible, but which many of us use to check patterns and the like, shows the dates for Valiere as ca. 1930-1953:
    https://www.replacements.com/webquote/n__valier.htm

Note: It's in your best interest to take the Replacement site's values with a grain of salt. Most folks are lucky to get 1/4 to 1/3 of the prices they quote!

judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Bakers, the one to which I included a link shows 2 handle shapes:
    img0 (105).jpg img0 (104).jpg

I'm not sure that even the 2nd one is the same as Nathan's.

6. Bakersgma

Even that second one has a rounded piece where it appears Nathan's are straight, so I counted that as "rounded."

judy and SBSVC like this.
  7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Replacements shows a footed cup with a straight handle, but we already know it exists! You all researched the mark, so are we done here?

komokwa and judy like this.
  8. nouter10

nouter10 New Member

Thanks everyone for your answers :)

komokwa and dgbjwc like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted