Featured AZTEC? PRE COLUMBIAN FIGURE

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Aug 23, 2017.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this st a estate sale a few years back. The lady's husband had passed away & she and her kids were selling everything including the house to buy her a smaller condo since he was alone now & the house was too big.
    I saw this piece (as well as another that I also bought) in a glass case on a shelf. The lady holding the estate sale told me her husband was a history professor and archaeologist who took numerous trips to S. America for business & pleasure - he brought this piece back with him on one trip, but she had no idea when; She also knew nothing about it.
    It looks like a Aztec/Mayan person to me (look at the face in 3rd photo) - did they make pieces like this?
    Is there a way to tell it's age/if it is real?
    I appreciate any help - it's one of my favorite pieces but I need to sell it and the more I know about it, the better.
    Thanks
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY POTTERY AZTEC FIGURE WITH BALL 1AA resized.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY POTTERY AZTEC FIGURE WITH BALL 2AA RESIZED.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY POTTERY AZTEC FIGURE WITH BALL 3AA RESIZED.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY POTTERY AZTEC FIGURE WITH BALL 3AAB RESIZED.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY POTTERY AZTEC FIGURE WITH BALL 4AA RESIZED.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY POTTERY AZTEC FIGURE WITH BALL 5AAA RESIZED.jpg

2. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Is it a whistle? Did you try blowing in the holes?

Christmasjoy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  3. journeymagazine

It is not a whistle. hole in top of ball doesn't go through.
    Also in case it helps anyone tell me what I have; it measures 4" T x 3.5" W
    Thanks

Christmasjoy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  4. journeymagazine

Would it be better if I put this in the pottery forum?

Ghopper1924 and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. KentWhirled

KentWhirled Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I know nothing about pre-Colombian pottery, but if from South America, it could be Mayan or Peruvian, etc. Aztec was mainly in the Mexican area. I think many of the pottery peeps check the other forums, too, but it might get a fresh eye. Presumably, if he was an archeologist, he would know if something was genuine or not. But, you can't count on an assumption. If there is a university nearby you, you might see if someone at the archeology department can help. If you haven't googled yet, you could start by perusing Mayan or Peruvian or pre-Colombian pottery images.

Ghopper1924 and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. journeymagazine

I thought aztec because he looked it to me, but Mayan may fit too.
    I tried googling pre columbian aztec figure with ball but saw nothing like it; maybe because it's Mayan or Peruvian like you said
    Thanks again

KentWhirled and Ghopper1924 like this.
  7. KentWhirled

KentWhirled Well-Known Member

Take a look at google images of Mayan and Pre-Colombian pottery figures. Some look similar. Not saying it isn't Aztec, though, as I really know nothing about this area.

Draft saved Draft deleted