Aynsley Tea Cup & Saucer - Pattern & Artist ID Help

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by realityspace, Feb 25, 2020.

1. realityspace

realityspace New Member

Hello,
    I came across this stunning burnt orange Aynsley cup and saucer, but haven't found a pattern name associated with it. I think it's 30s-50s according to the mark.
    *Marked C1063 on the cup, no marks on saucer.
    Also, is there a way to identify the artist?
    Thank you!

IMG_20200225_032854420~2.jpg IMG_20200225_032940702~2.jpg IMG_20200225_033524463~2.jpg

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

1950s. Aynsley artists are usually anonymous, which is a shame.

3. realityspace

realityspace New Member

Thanks! I noticed the artist, J. Bailey, did florals around this time.
    Online examples don’t seem to have a signature. Does anything in my photos indicate this could be his work?

Christmasjoy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I think this is a decal used on more than one pattern. There is no pattern name, just the number 1063.

5. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I hate to say this but . . . I wonder if it is a "second" (meaning it didn't pass quality control).

Your second photo from the top shows what looks like a "P" instead of an "A" as in Aynsley.

realityspace likes this.
  6. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Seriously? It's just worn.

realityspace likes this.
  7. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Most Aynsley patterns are not named until you get to the 70s and 80s and then you get Pembroke and Cottage Garden wares among others. From the shape, I think the set is c. 1950s. The two artists names that one sees on Aynsley are D. Jones and J.A. Bailey from that era. But they are transfer, not handpainted.

realityspace likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted