Aynsley Hand Painted Plate - Does Anyone Know the Artist?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Mar 19, 2017.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Board Folk! I purchased this Aynsley plate and I'm trying to figure out if I got a treasure. It measures 10" across and is signed S or F Wirkner. I've search for Wirkner and can't turn anything up. I also can't find any other Aynsley plates decorated like this. I doubt it's a home china painter - the work is just too good. I'm assuming a date of 1891-1900 or so because of the addition of "England". There's an Aynsley book out there somewhere but not in my price range. Can anyone help? Thanks!
    Don

IMG_20170319_174242488.jpg IMG_20170319_174305114.jpg IMG_20170319_174249828.jpg IMG_20170319_174401310.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have seen some incredible work done by unknown porcelain painters. I had one plate that for years I was sure it was a photograph done to the plate. It turns out that it was an unknown artist. I saw another work done by her/him in a catalog.
    greg

judy likes this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Don, I think it's a very good hobby painter. Aynsley aren't known for their named hand painters - and I think I've seen that bordered plate.

judy likes this.
  4. JanetP

JanetP Member

I found quite a few things by Sigmund Wirkner, but I don't know if this is his.

judy likes this.
  5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your input folks! From what I can find out by a quick google search Sigmund Wirkner was a German immigrant who worked at Lenox in the early 1900's. So it's probable he was not a painter at Aynsley at all but rather used an Aynsley bordered plate as a blank early before or after his work at Lenox. I haven't been able to find an example of his work but it should be a fun avenue to research! Again, many thanks!
    Don

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted