Award/memento from mentoring program?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bookahtoo, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

This small ceramic covered container is about 4" by 4". Does anyone recognize the sequence of words as a motto, or the map/logo as representing a particular organization? There are no marks that I can see.

DSC_0130.JPG

DSC_0129.JPG

DSC_0131.JPG

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The map is the world as seen from the north pole, or more accurately, a north polar projection; the words are in a compass rose, and I'd take all the words as applying to one person who was highly regarded by another.

Who and why, I know not. Possibly someone associated with the north pole and a navigator or explorer?

3. Bookahtoo

Intriguing....you make it sound even more interesting.

4. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

" . . . and godparents' commitment to teach and mentor the child in the Christian faith. ... involves a solemn commitment to the family as friend, confidant and advisor . . . ." (the words "teach, mentor, friend, confidant, advisor" were italicized in the original website below).

I'm wondering if those words are included in an infant baptism in the Catholic church for the "instruction(s)" to the godparents.

http://www.quinceanera-boutique.com/hispanic-traditions-pg-19.html

5. Bookahtoo

Hmmm.... sounds plausible except I'd expect to see some Catholic symbolism.......

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. Episcopal and UCC churches have godparents too, I think, and maybe some of the other "main line" denominations.

8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

The link I posted has the same words in the same order, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted