Avon/costume jewelry

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Tiffany Lynn Shields, Feb 7, 2017.

1. My mom and grandma was both avon sellers. Is there any worth or profit out of selling them. Until my grandma passi didnt know the differece between costume jewelry and any other jewelry. All of these are signed avon. 20170207_193538-600x1067.jpg

SBSVC likes this.
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Tiffany, I have no clue - I've never been a fan of costume jewelry, myself - but I do recall that my own great aunt had a very dear friend who used to sell Sarah Coventry jewelry.

For many years, my Mom received gifts of SC jewelry for every conceivable occasion - and Mom absolutely HATED it! She would graciously thank dear Great Aunt A, who was just trying to help support her friend, then pass her new "jewels" on, to others who might better enjoy them.

I often find myself incredulous that some of that SC stuff is "collectible" today - and I'm guessing that some of your Avon stuff may be, as well.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Very little Avon is saleable. The best things to find seem to be the dealer award pieces. Sometimes they actually even made of gold.

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Avon put out some very nice quality jewelry. I've picked up some and actually wear it.
    However, for some reason, when customers see it is marked AVON they drop it like a hot potato. For the life of me I can't figure why. Whey you're wearing it you can't see the mark. I actually get compliments on some of the pieces I have.

Sarah Coventry sells better for higher prices.

5. clutteredcloset49

Oh and these pictures load faster for me than your other thread with the cameos. Since you were asking.

6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Agree, Avon although no worse made than some other costume, has a bit of a stigma. (And agree with Cluttered, some of SC jewelry is surprisingly well made.)

Not an Avon expert, but my thoughts are that most of the Avon won't have huge resale value (maybe $1-10 per piece.) What I'm seeing above would fall into that category. There are a few exceptions, but that's where it gets tricky. Something especially fancy, big with lots of rhinestones, pearls, over the top details and/or if it had another name on or initials on it (Elizabeth Taylor for Avon or KJL for Avon). A few of those pieces can be worth more.

Do you have boxes of the old stock, or just loose pieces?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  7. Many many boxes but than again many many loose prices. How do i tell if they are a Elizabeth Taylor design or KJL?

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

they should be marked in some way...

9. Lucille.b

Yes, they will say "KJL Avon" or "Elizabeth Taylor Avon". But not even those signed pieces are necessarily worth much --they have to have that signature and be the type that is sought after. Sought after is typically big and bold, lots of rhinestones, over the top, that kind of thing. So maybe the best thing is to just look at the jewelry lot --is there anything that stands out, a necklace or pin just loaded with rhinestones, etc. Something that looks so much fancier than the rest? If yes, then check to see if it has that signature. No idea if you have the way to check Ebay, but if you go under "Completed Auctions" and then "Sold" and search "KJL Avon", etc. you will see what sold and for how much.

I asked about original boxes, if you had a huge inventory, you could sell to another seller, but with only a few boxes doesn't make sense.

I'm not sure how much jewelry you have, but all of this lower end costume does not have huge resale value and is a bit tricky to sell. Is there anyone in your area (that you trust) that could look through for you? Certainly any 14K gold would be good to identify if there happened to be some in there, gold is usually an easy sale.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    Tiffany Lynn Shields likes this.
  10. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Just a note that will NOT help you at all:

I have gotten decent returns on Avon men's jewelry, particularly belt buckles in original boxes (and aftershave bottles)..........................

Mein Gott - there were some relations with middle class tastes in my family................

11. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I won't buy regular Avon jewelry any more; you pretty well have to give it away, and may have better luck selling the nice pieces on line with no maker's name mentioned. There are two other makers, Napier and Monet who made/make nice stuff that doesn't sell.

I call the don't-bothers:
    Avon - Nayvon
    Monet - No Mo-nay
    Napier - Nope-ier
    Coro - No Go
    BSK - Ball, Strike, Strikeout (baseball terminology)

There are some others too. Some makers are seen as inferior and buyers can't be bothered with them unless it's a piece from a special line or it's sterling.

Lucille.b, judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  13. clutteredcloset49

I agree with evelyb.
    The ones she mentioned for the most part do not have good resell values.

Maybe it has to do with how much they made and sold. Almost every drugstore, department store carried Monet and Napier. Avon and Coro were also easily purchased. All reasonably priced so women were able to dress in style.

14. evelyb30

That's part of it. It may explain why some of the Japanese pieces from the same era don't get any respect. Wonderful beads, but no joy in Mudville. The bottom has fallen out of some Czech glass too.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  15. Lucille.b

"I call the don't-bothers:
    Avon - Nayvon
    Monet - No Mo-nay
    Napier - Nope-ier
    Coro - No Go
    BSK - Ball, Strike, Strikeout (baseball terminology)"

@evelyb30 -- that cracked me up! Very clever.

How about these:

Miriam Haskell: Don't you pass, girl
    Hobe: O-kay
    Schreiner: Pocket ...Liner
    D&E: Lovely
    Christian Dior: What a score
    Alfred Phillip: Take a leap...
    Hattie Carnegie: Buy and sell to me
    Chanel: That's swell
    Weiss: Nice
    Kenneth Jay Lane: Gravy train

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    komokwa likes this.
  16. evelyb30

I'd quibble on the Hobe. Their earrings don't sell.

17. Lucille.b

But it was so easy to rhyme with!

Draft saved Draft deleted