Autograph book advice

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by LucyLocket, Oct 18, 2021.

1. LucyLocket

LucyLocket Well-Known Member

20211018_160555.jpg Hello everyone,
    Looking for a bit of advice - I recently acquired an old autograph book but now I don't quite know what to with it! It was an impulse buy as I thought it was so interesting but now I've had a good look through I really don't need/want to keep it.
    There are lots of autographs of famous people from the (mainly classical) music world. They are mostly from the 1920s - 1940s.
    Just a few of the names included:
    *conductors Henry Wood , Malcolm Sargent & Basil Cameron
    *soprano Dame Isobel (Bella) Baillie
    *pianist Leff Pouishnoff
    also many other musicians, politicians etc.

My dilemma is whether to take some of the pages out to try & sell them separately or just sell the book as a whole. There is the slight problem that there are some signatures on either side of several pages so obviously I can't separate those!
    Many of the autographs are from friends & family and are mixed in with the famous folk. It would seem a shame to split the book really.
    I am not even sure if there would be a market for the individual autographs - perhaps someone here would know about this?
    Any help and/or advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Just my opinion but... I would sell it in its entirety. The book itself tells a story.

Debora

milestoneks, Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Classical autographs aren't crazy money as far as I know. It's probably best left in one piece as a book. I know at least one classical lover who'd be all over it.

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I agree -- sell it as is, all together in one book.

At first I didn't realize that it was an actual bound autograph book, but do see the pages and covers now in some of the pictures. Good luck with it!

5. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

If the autographs are well mixed and none have any great value it is probably best to keep the book together, making sure that any listing for sale includes all the best names. However, my experience is that selling autographs individually brings a greater return, though the time and effort in so doing is also greater

Bakersgma and Figtree3 like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Rhiwfield!! You're back! Welcome home!

rhiwfield and Figtree3 like this.
  7. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

I've been too long away, should have come back way before now :)

Bakersgma and Figtree3 like this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I was recently wondering about you, too. Thanks for coming back!

Draft saved Draft deleted