Auto Racing Photo Negatives from 1950's?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Jerry Coker, Jun 29, 2024 at 2:41 PM.

1. Jerry Coker

Jerry Coker Active Member

IMG_3967_50.jpg IMG_3968_50.jpg IMG_3968_50.jpg IMG_3969_50.jpg IMG_3970_50.jpg IMG_4036_50.jpg IMG_4038_50.jpg IMG_4046_50.jpg IMG_3991_50.jpg Hello, I posted this last week on a sports forum I'm a member of, but haven't received any replies yet. Perhaps auto racing memorabilia is not all that common. Thought I would try here. I guess this is more about photo detective work than anything.

I bought a lot with some photo negatives some years back that included these photos (below), from what appears to be a Formula 1 auto race sometime in the 1950's. My best guess so far is they are from a F1 race between 1958-1962, perhaps at the Belgian Grand Prix as one of the negatives appears to have a sign for Phil Hill (I think). I believe Hill's 1st Belgian F1 was in 1958. Some of the photos resemble the Belgian course (a little). There are 2 sign ads that may help identify the course. One says "L Eau Rougue", the other "Real Ixelberg" (a Belgian vendor, I believe). All the other ad signs are generic for car venders (Pirelli, Castrol, Lucas, SuperShell, DKW, Englebert, & Bosch). There are some photos that include motorcycle racing, including 2 men on a cycle. So these may not be from the same event. I'm not sure about any of this. I'm just trying to narrow it down to what year, or what course (assuming F1), if possible. I apologize for the grainy photos. I'm using a phone app (Filmory) with a less than ideal backlight to convert a negative to a print. Plus my photo skills are less than stellar. I've also photo'd some of the negatives as is, as that seems to render a less grainy image, to try decipher signs in the background of the images. Here are a few of the images. If anyone here cares to chime in with suggestions of when these photos may have been taken, and where, feel free to comment. Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2024 at 5:38 PM
    Figtree3 and Marote like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

@Jerry Coker, would you be kind enough to go back and change your photographs from Thumbnail to Full image? That will make them easier for everyone to see.

Debora

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Belgium Grand Prix at Spa-Francorhamps.

Debora

a17c0dc18bfab3711fdf8aaca6fd68ad.jpeg

IMG_3991_50.jpg

Figtree3 and Roaring20s like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

In the background, there appears to be a Volkswagen Transporter microbus which debuted in 1950. Not helpful. But I think from clothing you're looking at end of decade or into next. Any photographs with women?

Debora

IMG_3970_50.jpg

opening-7.jpg

Last edited: Jun 29, 2024 at 4:13 PM
    komokwa likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The Porsche 718 of Dan Gurney (USA) sits in the pits.
    Belgian Grand Prix, Spa-Francorchamps, 18 June 1961.

Now that's a pretty famous car and driver.!!

That sports forum... likely all young folks hoping to show off a pair of Jordans !
    ;):playful::playful::playful::playful::playful::woot:

Figtree3, Marote and Roaring20s like this.
  6. komokwa

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Another photograph of Phil Hill taken on same day.

Debora

gettyimages-861189854-1024x1024.jpg

IMG_3969_50.jpg

bosko69 and komokwa like this.
  8. Jerry Coker

Thank you for all the replies! I just switched the photos to full image, I forgot to do that! Indeed this appears to be the 1961 Belgian Grand Prix. I wasn't sure my photos were of Phil Hill, plus I could not find a good photo of the course in 1961 that showed the clock. Thank you for finding those photos! Also, I just found and watched an Youtube video of the 1961 race and within the video there was a very similar shot, like my photo, of the partial Phil Hill plaque on the brick wall, with the same two cars parked identically (#6 and #4). When I was younger I went through a period of watching the F1 grand prix on TV (1970's). At the time many of the courses were inside the city limits of some very old/historic places. And I much preferred watching the cars navigate a windy course, vs an oval. Which is ironic as I was born in Indianapolis :) Anyway, I lost interest in car racing as I got older, so I feel lucky to have stumbled on these old photos from a early 1960's F1 race! It appears scanners are the best way to convert negatives to prints, as opposed to the smart phone converters like I'm using. But they are rather expensive. Does anyone have a suggestions of what to look for when trying to find a professional photo place to convert some of these negatives for me, for a fee? I'd like to convert and keep a few. They appear to be 70mm negative film strips that were cut into smaller framed pieces. Thank again for the help! PS: Looks like when I made the images full size they precede my text now, can't seem to fix that, sorry!

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  9. Jerry Coker

I just read about Dan Gurney, looks like he was very famous. Sounds like you're saying that Gurney's Porsche did not compete in this 1961 race, because he didn't qualify, or the Porsch had problems? I'll look to see if I have any pit photos in all these negatives. And yes, likely a lot of guys in the sports forum are more interested in Jordan & Ohtani than old F1 racing :)

komokwa likes this.
  10. Jerry Coker

Debora, thank you for the replies, so far I have found one photo of what I believe is a woman spectator from this race. Not a very good photo on my part:

IMG_3972.JPG

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thanks for going to the trouble. She'd be more helpful if she were wearing a skirt. But I'd think Kennedy years. Early 1960s.

Debora

komokwa likes this.
  12. komokwa

Figtree3 and Aquitaine like this.
  13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Inverted, cropped & sharpened.....Very Cool!!

IMG_3991_50-INVERT-CROP-SHARPEN.jpg

Last edited: Jun 29, 2024 at 11:04 PM
    Potteryplease, Debora and antidiem like this.
  14. Jerry Coker

Thank you, how did you make it so sharp!?

Aquitaine likes this.
  15. Jerry Coker

Is anyone here having any success converting old film negatives to digital without buying an expensive scanner? I tried the smartphone app Filmory using an old laptop display as a backlight, plus a piece of glass over the negative to keep the curled negative flat, but I'm not satisfied with the results (too grainy). Perhaps there are other apps and/or methods I could be using? Thank you.

Figtree3 likes this.
  16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I DID sharpen it just a little......but, if from the 50s/60s, it had to have already been a pretty crisp negative (which isn't always obvious when the image is in the 'negative' state!!! I use 'Photoshop' a LOT, but have a couple other excellent (for the most part...) programs....I spend WAY too much time playing with them!!!!!

Figtree3, Potteryplease and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted