Authenticate Wedgwood trinket box

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bluemoon, Nov 5, 2016.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I know very little about jasperware so help me with this:

Is the box authentic or perhaps second quality? Or an utter fake?
    The marks are a bit unclear and say "wedgwoo" and "made in ngland" as if some of the first and last letters didn't quite make it.

Screenshot_2016-11-05-14-06-49.png Screenshot_2016-11-05-14-08-20.png Screenshot_2016-11-05-14-08-38.png Screenshot_2016-11-05-14-08-48.png Screenshot_2016-11-05-14-08-58.png

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's fine. Early 20th, not of great value.

3. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Somehow I expected a higher standard of quality when it comes to Wedgwood and that there would be no defects (the box has many).
    I found similar ones on ebay in red and green, etc and all of those so far have had a colourful interior (not plain off-white like mine) and I wonder why.

4. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

That's what I thought, but I was hesitant as I am not really familiar with this product line. Live and learn! Thanks.

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Some pieces are white but the exterior is dipped into color like yours. I have some from the 1950s that are also dipped. Not all the pieces are solid color jasperware. It has nothing to do with expense but just something that the company tried doing several times. They are just called "dipped pieces".
    greg

bluemoon likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Yours is a slightly less common version of their intaglio decorated wares. The ones with the coloured interior have a wholly coloured body to them: the bisque is the same colour all the way through. Your one is a white body with a thin coating of coloured slip, then the intaglios applied.

7. Ownedbybear

And greg has just reminded me of the proper term!

8. gregsglass

Hi,
    Here is a piece of mine.
    greg 002.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG

9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Wedgwood was not the only English company to make Jasperware. Adams also comes to mind.
    Don

10. gregsglass

Hi Don,
    Several firms made jasperware but only Wedgwood says Wedgwood.
    greg

11. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Sorry, Greg - I had of my senior moments (which are becoming alarmingly frequent). I'm blaming that supermoon!
    Don

gregsglass likes this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Although there was a non jasperware maker who wasn't Josiah, but used the same name. ;)

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted