Authentic Native American Items?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Malkim62, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Malkim62

Malkim62 Well-Known Member

Good morning all. I have a rug, statue and tambourine, and not sure if any of them are authentic or not. The rug is 29" x 42" wide and the figure is 16" tall. I found them in a local Houston thrift shop. Thank you in advance for any help at all.

Dale

yei1.jpg yei2.jpg yei3.jpg terracotta1.jpg terracotta2.jpg terracotta3.jpg terracotta4.jpg terracotta6.jpg tambourine1 (2).jpg tambourine2.jpg

judy and anundverkaufen like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You do realize the drum is a Celtic bodhran?:) So Native Irish or Scottish.;)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Bodhran demo:

judy, Malkim62, NewEngland and 2 others like this.
  5. Malkim62

Thank you very much.

Dale

6. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

The weaving is a Mexican "fake Navajo yei rug." Navajo rugs cannot be woven with fringe on both ends, because of the unique type of loom and weaving technique they use. And "fake" because Mexicans don't have yeis in their religion/culture, only the Navajo do, and this was obviously woven to make the buyer think it was an authentic Navajo rug.

Nor is the figure signed with any tribal affiliation, so it can't be considered "authentic Native American," either. Afraid it's "0 for 3" on these.

judy, Any Jewelry, Malkim62 and 5 others like this.
  7. Malkim62

Lol. Well at least they were cheap. I'm so glad these boards are here. They keep me from embarrassing myself on ebay. Thanks again for the help.

Dale

Draft saved Draft deleted