Australian Henk Guth painting I found - same on ebay?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jul 19, 2024.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a thrift shop today & bought it because the colors reminded me of a sunset in NC as a kid (+ it was under $20)
    But when I did an image search, not only did I find the artist; Henk Guth, a listed/well known Australian artist - but I found the exact same painting on ebay?
    I'm going to send a Pic to the seller & ask if they still have it, but what are the odds?!
    PS - last Pic is close up so you can see this is a painting on board & not a print of some kind.
    Here is same(?) painting:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/3732304770...p4D_gMXQb-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

20240719_161919.jpg
    20240719_162115.jpg 20240719_160413.jpg 20240719_160458.jpg

Close up

20240719_160755.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The one on the Bay looks like it's a painting from the same vantage, different time of day. But what painter puts their name in block letters at the top like that?

judy likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

HENK GUTH. Gotta be an anagram.

Debora

4. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

looks like a ffffffffffffff painting from here, and thats coming from my stomach

judy likes this.
  5. journeymagazine

I did that so I could remember the artist - I have a Lot of paintings!

judy and Bronwen like this.
  6. charlie cheswick

mate you should be able to tell by now, by the hideous nature of it

come on journey, i expect better by now

judy likes this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

8. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

9. charlie cheswick

all i ever see you do Mark is slag off journeys paintings ?

you never bring anything else to the table

10. charlie cheswick

easy really, was waiting for it, then like clockwork

11. charlie cheswick

12. Mark London

I guess you haven’t seen all of my posts or my helpful comments. So be it. I have suggested several times over the years that Journey spend some time in local museums and art galleries to better educate his eye. I agree that taste is subjective but there is a reason that such paintings end up at thrift shops.

13. charlie cheswick

I totally agree, its redundant buying paintings like this, but we need your help.

14. Mark London

I have also pointed out that absent real knowledge of art and/or the art market, do your research before purchasing.

15. charlie cheswick

16. charlie cheswick

oh i know everything about paintings, this and that, whats good and whats not

you can't learn that

17. Mark London

But if you are buying for resale it is best to have some knowledge. Journey seems to have a very good eye for his non art related purchases and has made some excellent finds.

anundverkaufen likes this.
  18. charlie cheswick

he has a very good eye for cool stuffs, just makes me mad that you have obviously a good eye for art, and we don't see that

19. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Charlie has made a post revealing mood disorder crash. Think comments here should be taken with that in mind.

20. journeymagazine

I agree I don't have the best eye when it comes to art, but when I did an image search & saw his works were a couple hundred each (maybe because they were Australian dollars!) & this was only $12.95 I bought it.
    But again I have to agree that when it comes to art I seem to have terrible taste (remember the Florida Highway Men painting I found - I thought it was so ugly I almost didn't even do a search on his name, but I ended up selling it for over $3,000 - and to the director of a public art center in Ft Lauderdale!).
    I appreciate your input Mark - good or bad!

Draft saved Draft deleted