Attribution of a tea saucer

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by TheBearKiss, Jun 6, 2024.

1. TheBearKiss

TheBearKiss Member

Hello! I can't find out which factory produced this tea saucer. The cup has a metal handle. I learned from blog.andrewbaseman that previously porcelain hadles could be replaced with metal ones if they broke. I looked a many-many similar Limoges tea saucer and was sure that they were Limoges until I saw similar German saucer. And Sevres saucer. No marks. Who knows what's is it? 1-8.jpg 1-4.jpg 1-6.jpg 1-12.jpg

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

That's a neat repair. Someone put some effort into it. Without a mark, there's a good chance you will never know the maker. The decoration could very well be third party, which would muddy the waters even more. It is a pretty cup.

judy, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  3. TheBearKiss

TheBearKiss Member

Interesting version about decoration.Three saucers have this decoration. And no marks.

judy, moreotherstuff and Bronwen like this.
  4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

It's a coffee can and from the shape of the saucer and interior gilding, I reckon it's Continental, not British. The repair is wonderful! Odd thing is is that the floral painting is not the best quality. Bit of a puzzler!

komokwa and judy like this.
  5. TheBearKiss

TheBearKiss Member

You mean coffee cup?) Thank you!

judy likes this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Coffee cup will do, but I believe it's the straight sides that lead to coffee can being a bit more esoteric and precise a name.

TheBearKiss, komokwa and kentworld like this.
  7. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Yes, that is correct. It's a term used for that shape of 19th c. cup :happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted