Featured Attractive Tongzhi Marked Lidded Pot - The Real McCoy ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by 15Stiftgasse, Jun 29, 2021.

1. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

Further to my recent posting, I would be very grateful if you would allow me to tax your expertise regarding yet another item.
    I recently acquired (relatively cheaply) a Tongzhi marked lidded jar, standing some 15cm or so high.
    The design is very attractive - and commercially so, as well. It's for this reason that I am beginning to have my doubts about the piece - it's almost too nice, if you see what I mean. The painting quality (in my amateur opinion) seems to be good, the style and some facial characteristics seem consistent with the purported period.
    However, I suspect that the jar may be of later production - but hopefully not post- Republic period.

I'd be interested to hear what you real experts think.
    Thanks !!!! P1050144.JPG P1050156.JPG P1050151.JPG P1050158.JPG

Attached Files:

Bronwen, Bingamum and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Can you go ahead and post FULL IMAGES of the ones you haven't, please? It's really quite lovely, even if I can't technically help!!

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. 15Stiftgasse

Few more pics ! P1050135.JPG P1050136.JPG P1050117.JPG

Aquitaine likes this.
  5. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Is the mark printed, or hand painted? If it is printed the item is more likely to be 20th century. Tongzhi came to mean comrade in the 20th century, so has a double meaning for items made since communism.

6. 15Stiftgasse

The seal mark is stamped on. However, I understand that the Tongzhi seal was also sometimes used as an apocryphal mark in the later Guangxu and Republican periods.

Draft saved Draft deleted