Astoria Hotel Lamp

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by P245triox, May 24, 2018.

1. P245triox

P245triox New Member

Astoria lamp middle .jpg Astoria lamp.jpg Astoria lamp top.jpg Astoria lamp top 2.jpg Astoria lamp top 2.jpg Astoria lamp top.jpg Astoria lamp.jpg Astoria lamp top.jpg Astoria lamp.jpg I was told this came from the Astoria Hotel in New York before the hotel merged with the Waldorf. The lamp is incomplete, missing the glass and socket. Think it may be silver plated. Extremely detailed! Soo many scenes all different around the entire lamp. Looks like a Gods creation theme, where there are angles at the top and dark things at the bottom. Very impressive looking. I'd love to know what it looked like originally. I'd restore it, unless it has a high value. At that point I'd leave it to a professional. Any info would be appreciated.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Lucille.b and aaroncab like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

anything on the stone base............

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Silver and silver plate was meant to be polished.
    You won't hurt it if you do a little gentle cleaning.

Looks like you have been able to take it apart which will help with cleaning.

Me personally, I would squirt it with 50/50 ammonia and water, then use a sponge with Dawn liquid on it, soap it up, let it sit 10-15 minutes before rinsing thoroughly. That will take a lot of the grime off.
    Then use a liquid polish and work small sections at a time. Not a harsh polish, if it is plate sometimes the harsher polishes will wear through older plate.

Wait for other suggestions on how to clean, before deciding what to do.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

How tall?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

OMG Spring!!!!!! WHAT happened to you!!!!!!!!!!!!you're SO DEAD looking:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Totally OT but your title brought this back to me...

My father had a temp secretary working for him when he was at RCA in New York in the 1950s-60s. She left him a message that someone had called and to call him back at the "World Office Story Hotel".

My father finally figured out he was at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel ;)

Figtree3, Bakersgma and SBSVC like this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

In shape it resembles a ciborium.