Featured Assorted Knapped Points; Arrow an' Spear, Unknown Origin

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by wlwhittier, Mar 31, 2024.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

This is the first of three groups. I've no information about them except where I acquired them; all at a yard sale in Redding, California, in, roughly, the early '80s. They were with many early western Americana collectibles; horse tack, wagons an' buggies, cattle brands, chuck-wagon gear an' etc...a family selling-off the grandparents stuff.
    I'm aware of the value of provenance concerning this type of artifact, but...all there is are the letter A on a few of 'em.
    Your comments are welcome...thanks for lookin'!

P1400893.jpeg P1400894.jpeg P1400895.jpeg P1400896.jpeg P1400897.jpeg P1400898.jpeg

J Dagger, Rayo56, stracci and 4 others like this.
  2. wlwhittier

This is the second batch...

P1400899.jpeg P1400900.jpeg P1400901.jpeg P1400902.jpeg P1400903.jpeg P1400904.jpeg

Attached Files:

Rayo56, stracci, Marote and 2 others like this.
  3. wlwhittier

An' the third.

P1400905.jpeg P1400906.jpeg P1400907.jpeg P1400908.jpeg P1400909.jpeg P1400910.jpeg P1400911.jpeg P1400912.jpeg

Figtree3, Rayo56, stracci and 3 others like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice selection......wouldn't want any of those........ piercing my chest !!!;):happy:

Figtree3, Aquitaine, stracci and 3 others like this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Your best bet might be to see if there is a museum or university nearby with an archeology department. You will need to find an archeologist familiar with the local types.

6. wlwhittier

Or any other part of yer tender anatomy, methinks!

stracci, Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  7. wlwhittier

Well...I doubt familiarity with northwest NA peoples would be much help, 'cause I don't think they used knapped points. If I lived in NoCal, perhaps University of California Davis...but that may be worth sending a few pics to them, just on the off chance they'll express interest. Thanks, hadn't thought that far ahead, Books!

Figtree3, Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  8. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Of course Northwest Indians used knapped points, some of the oldest discovered, Carbon-dated to 15,700 years old, were recently found by Oregon State University archaeologists.

Both Oregon State, and the University of Oregon have very active Archaeology Departments, that are noted for their field research.

9. wlwhittier

My ignorance is Legend!
    Thank you for the Oregon suggestions...I'll see what I can stir up in the way of interest in these!

Figtree3 and stracci like this.
  10. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Oooh! I love me some arrowheads!!!
    :woot::woot::woot:

11. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Arrowheads were my first introduction to the world of "antiques"...way back when I was a kid, and it was okay to find and collect them.

My dad would go hunting in eastern Oregon, and I would go searching for arrowheads there. My first collection, before I was in school, even, and I still have them, including the first one I ever found!

12. wlwhittier

I've got others, stracci...but haven't seem them in a couple years. When (an' IF) found, they'll get posted in Tribal.

stracci likes this.
  13. wlwhittier

Can we see them? That is, will you show them here? That would be sweet, Taupou!

14. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

It's a matter of getting them all together, and I'm working on taxes right now. So maybe when this is all done!

wlwhittier likes this.
  15. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Supposed to use an "Indian Head" cent or a "Buffalo" nickel for size comparison - :)

wlwhittier and komokwa like this.
  16. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

If you mean "interest" in terms of such institutions wanting to acquire them, I think you will be disappointed. But they may be able to help identify them so you can more easily sell them elsewhere.

17. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

All of the obsidian points are likely to have originated in the PNW. I believe that was the only source in Northern America. I think they have it down in Mexico too but I am pretty sure most obsidian points like these are northwestern. If you find some knowledgeable dealers or collectors online they may help you. There are some very knowledgeable collectors obviously. A big time NA stone artifact dealer on eBay helped me with a couple things. I did purchase a few things from him so maybe he was more likely to help me than a non customer.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
    Figtree3, Any Jewelry and wlwhittier like this.
  18. wlwhittier

Uhh...Where does it say?

19. wlwhittier

I'm a patient man, Taupou...but I'm old! I'll wait, though...

Potteryplease likes this.
  20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Very nice, @wlwhittier -- Thanks for sharing! Tax filing day is in just a couple of weeks, so hope you don't have to wait long.

Draft saved Draft deleted