Assistance with identifying silver religious items

Discussion in 'Silver' started by George Chaney, Dec 13, 2022.

1. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

I have dug around and tried to figure out what these things are. I was able to identify 1 of the items (the first photo) as a holy oil bulb tube, it is a 3 part piece. (will call this item 1)

I am not quite sure what the double lidded one is with a cross on top (item 2), nor the flat pendant style one with a inner lid/cover for some purpose (item 3).

The cross one measures a little over 1" across and about 2 1/2" high (item 2). The flat bit measures about 2 3/8" across, 3 3/8" high with the finial thing and about 3/8" deep (item 3).

I have a silver plate egg looking thing that unscrews which I believe is religious ass well (item 4). It measures about 2 1/2" high and about 1 3/4" at its widest point.

On a side note - non-religious, I also have this cast bit that looks like a trophy topper but is testing as silver, rough rough... not sure what the heck that is either. I really just assumed it to be the top of an old trophy missing its pedestal (item 5). Measures about4 5/8" high. The base is like 1 3/4" wide/

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_3110.JPG IMG_3111.JPG IMG_3112.JPG IMG_3113.JPG IMG_3094.JPG IMG_3095.JPG IMG_3097.JPG

komokwa and kyratango like this.
  2. George Chaney

Urn thingy images

IMG_3100.JPG IMG_3101.JPG IMG_3102.JPG IMG_3103.JPG IMG_3104.JPG IMG_3108.JPG IMG_3106.JPG

komokwa and kyratango like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The "egg cooking thing" (cannot figure why you think that) is probably to carry the host to a home visit.

4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

The flat thing could be to hold a host to take to someone who couldn’t get to a church, maybe someone sick.

5. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
  6. Marie Forjan

7. George Chaney

oops...I can understand why, I think I meant to say the "egg looking thing".... :)

What is a host? I have to be honest here, I really have no idea what these things are/were etc. It was a "silver" lot (I can't recall if they said anything about plated) and all I was bidding on was the art deco Cartier cigarette case.

8. George Chaney

Ohhh that is good information :)

stracci likes this.
  9. George Chaney

bercrystal and stracci like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

art deco Cartier cigarette case.
    where's that at ?

lovewrens and johnnycb09 like this.
  11. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

The "host" is the name for the round wafer used in Catholic communion, it represents the body of Christ. At least that's my recollection from my Catholic childhood!

Also, I don't think the 'egg' thing belongs with this Catholic stuff. It looks like India-made to me

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
  12. Marie Forjan

Yes, that is true. Before Mass it is a wheat wafer, during the consecration the host is blessed and "Catholics believe that the bread and wine become the body and blood, soul and divinity of Christ."

From https://www.dummies.com/article/bod...holicism/consecrated-host-catholicism-235839/

George Chaney and stracci like this.
  13. George Chaney

Ohhhh... I wasn't gonna post it. Thing is in pretty rough shape... :(

I found one like it that was cased, but darn if after I bought it I could find the listing... how it always works and I forget to save links when researching. IMG_3196.JPG IMG_3198.JPG IMG_3204.JPG

bercrystal and komokwa like this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Nice little case! I don't know much about Catholic religious items, heathen Baptist that I am, but the egg is definitely Indian. Might have been in someone's Easter basket though.

George Chaney and stracci like this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

other than the end of the siggy holder bar looking like t's been cut short....
    I don't see enuf rough shape to dissuade going after it !!:happy:
    sure it was we used.....but...;):):)

George Chaney likes this.
  16. George Chaney

I noted that as well. It is just so hard to see imperfections in stuff with photographs. I'll be trying to sell it relatively cheap. I haven't quite decided what price to put on it, but my goal is to move it out fast before the new year.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted