Asian vase with ‘x’ marking at bottom

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Tinytim, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Tinytim

Tinytim Active Member

7D4626C4-BFC3-4B67-AF2D-8E92E59B230F.jpeg 66A0C8E1-0AAA-4833-A904-4A0E0AB1D951.jpeg 74613A80-77D9-4019-AFEE-B8F020101AE8.jpeg 84532E92-90C3-4AAF-A41D-CC75174555F4.jpeg hi everyone

Please see this vase. Had picked it up from my uncles house when he was throwing things out.
    The gold plating has come of the handles and the handle has a crack. It’s 9inches tall and has a ‘x’ marking at the bottom. For longest time I never even thought that could be a marking? Is it?

Let me know if you need any more information.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    judy likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

This one is also Satsuma style. The cross doesn't look like a Japanese mark.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  3. Tinytim

Tinytim Active Member

Thanks any jewellery. Do you think it is a satsuma?
    I never ever thought that cross is a mark/ signature sign.
    Do you think I should tag some satsuma expert. I realise I should have made the title satsuma and not Asian but I did not know at that time

judy likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Asian is fine, not everyone is acquainted with Satsuma. We don't really have a Satsuma expert, but @Mat knows a lot about East Asian ceramics.

judy likes this.
  5. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Hi, I agree that this is Satsuma, likely made in Awata - Kyoto. I would date it to early 20th c. The "X" on the bottom may well have been applied by the maker, such vases often have markings that are not a signature, but had some meaning to the producer. Often there appear numbers and "right" or "left"... This may be a badly written "十", meaning "10".

aaroncab and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted