Asian themed figure wall pocket - California pottery?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by UncleChuckTX, Feb 13, 2016.

1. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

Or better quality studio or hobbyist? I looked through my Jack Chipman California pottery book, and tried a few searches, but didn't find anything. It's unmarked, almost 9" in diameter.

Also, I can't think of / come up with the term for this type of costumed performer. I can picture what I'm thinking of - the dancers with the long metal fingertips? Or is that way off base?

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

IMG_8693.JPG IMG_8694.JPG

The glaze has several drips / thicker areas. I looked very closely, but couldn't see any marks or impressed names anywhere under the glaze.

IMG_8695.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I don't know but it's cool! :)

3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

She looks Thai to me, too, but I don't know who made it.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I've never seen this wallpocket but my best guess is that it's a product of one of the California potteries. The colors and general style just scream mid-century California to me. Nice wallpocket!
    Don

KingofThings likes this.
  5. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

Thanks for your thoughts.

The term I was trying to remember was Balinese. But after searching more, and comparing, Janet I think you're right about her having a more Thai look.

I found lots of similar California pottery pieces, but no wall pockets. The ones I was picturing were the Gilner figurines, which have a very similar look. However, the face and hands on mine are bisque. I haven't found any other pieces with bisque details.

Thanks again!

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Very Tretchikoff that.

KingofThings and dgbjwc like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted