Featured Asian-style porcelain teacup and bowl saucer - where did I come from?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by evelyb30, Jun 27, 2024 at 4:52 PM.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

@Ownedbybear asked for better pix, so here we go. This cost me a whole US$3 so it came home as a research project. The only marks on the base are a hemisphere with a dot on the bowl and what looks like an exclamation mark on the cup. I'd bet the figures are some sort of transfers but the color appears hand done. The paint looks like old famille rose pieces, but that could have been a British firm out to fool us. The lady has a rue-i scepter, so I'd think Chinese but..? Bright ideas and dumb jokes appreciated.

DSCF9906.JPG DSCF9907.JPG DSCF9908.JPG DSCF9909.JPG DSCF9910.JPG DSCF9911.JPG DSCF9912.JPG DSCF9913.JPG DSCF9914.JPG

2. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Looks like New Hall porcelain. The boy and the butterfly pattern c1800

3. evelyb30

4. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

With cracks I reckon maybe £30 for the duo.

5. evelyb30

That's still over 10x more than I paid, and at 200+ years old I'll have a few cracks too.

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Told you so! It’s typical New Hall.

Houseful, kentworld and John Brassey like this.
  7. evelyb30

Typical in the UK maybe. I've never, as far as I know, even seen a piece before. I'm still keeping my eyes peeled for Georgian stemware, any at all. It doesn't turn up here much.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2024 at 4:26 PM
    kentworld likes this.
  8. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I have a New Hall plate that has a really vibrant orange rim. I don't think I paid much for it as it is cracked, but I loved that crazy orange. The interior is a Chinese scene. As you say, not a lot of early English china shows up this side of the pond. Plenty, though, from mid 19th c on as trade grew with the burgeoning North American markets.

9. evelyb30

We didn't make our own porcelain until after the Civil war,or much ironstone either. From what I remember anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted