Featured Asian pottery identification

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Deux Coeurs, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Deux Coeurs

Deux Coeurs Well-Known Member

20200110_194434.jpg 20200110_164240.jpg 20200110_164221.jpg 20200110_164155.jpg 20200110_164202.jpg 20200110_204155.jpg Hello everyone! I need help again! This is another item from a box lot purchased at auction a few years ago. I've tried to research it the best I can but have come up empty handed. My only guess is an old brush washer due to size (7.25" D x 2"H). Also, can anyone tell me what it says/characters mean? I can't see any markings on the bottom. Thank you!

Any Jewelry, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

The ware is typical Kenzan style piece, and the characters also read Kenzan.

This is not to say this is a piece by Ogata Kenzan (1663-1743) as his wares are EXTREMELY well known and have been imitated in vast quantities ever since the 18thc and especially in the 20th. Kenzan style wares often bear the signature as part of the decoration, as does yours.
    OTOH, maybe you have an original piece of Kenzan? (I wouldn't hold my breath though;))

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  3. Deux Coeurs

Thank you for the information! After doing a bit of research on Kenzan, my bowl seems very rudimentary in comparison (lack of decoration), so I'm sure it's not authentic. Regardless, I love it and it'll continue to sit on a shelf and be enjoyed!

4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

There are examples with simple decoration; you should not necessarily use that alone as criteria - form, body and intended purpose should also be taken into consideration.

Deux Coeurs likes this.
  5. Deux Coeurs

Oh, I completely understand not making a judgment based on a single criterion; there's just something that seems so rustic compared to the few that I've seen online- admittedly, a lot of images are defined as Kenzan style. Also, my very limited knowledge on Asian pottery is a huge factor, so thank you for helping me. :happy:

blooey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted