Asian bronze pedestal?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by verybrad, Jul 9, 2019.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Picked up this bronze "thing" at the thrift store last week. Believe it is probably turn of the century Japanese. While it has been modified with a new base, I don't know if the top is a modification as well. The base is an iron lamp base with brass covering that is clearly not original. Despite the lamp base, there is no indication that this was ever a lamp. The top is as shown. It is brazed or soldered on but the patina matches everything else and it is not sloppily done. If it is a modification, it is well done and has been there a long time. If it is a modification, why would anyone do this?

Is this a modified vase or a shokudai (Candle stand)? Most shokudai have prickets but have a found a few without. Opinions?

bronze.JPG bronze2.JPG bronze3.JPG bronze4.JPG bronze5.JPG
    Lastly, what do I do with the base? As you can see, it has been drilled with a threaded piece inserted. I don't know if it has been braised in or is also threaded and will come right out. My first thought is to find a nice Asian wood stand for it to attach permanently. Other ideas?

Miscstuff, i need help and Bronwen like this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!

HOW BIG IS IT?

3. verybrad

About 16" tall without the lamp base …. and extremely heavy.

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

JMHO, but to me it looks like that, at one time, it was a lovely stand alone vase! The Top AND bottom just don't quite match up in color, although the bottom is closer than the top. AS to WHY one would do that to a beautiful vase, I have not a clue!!! Oh, maybe there are wrapped hidden gems inside!!!:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin: Can you X-ray bronze???:)

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

very weird , what's going on with the base.........the bronze though is lovely...

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Someone's messed it about. It's good that you rescued it.

7. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

It's very attractive Brad, really nice, Joy.

i need help likes this.
  8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Oh man, look how graceful it is without the add ons:

BronzeVase.jpg

9. Christmasjoy

LOVELY !!! .. MUCH better, LOVE IT !!! Joy. :)

10. Christmasjoy

UMMmm ... I thought it was returned to its former glory.. :(

yourturntoloveit and i need help like this.
  11. Marie Forjan

No, it was just me and PhotoShop :)

kyratango, Jivvy, judy and 4 others like this.
  12. Christmasjoy

13. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

I dont see anything Japanese there, looks European art nouveau to me.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  14. verybrad

…… so, the question becomes what to do with it? I know the base is not staying. Do I just remove the threaded piece and call it a day? What do you think about the idea of adding a wood pedestal? What about the top? I only have $18.00 in to this so could take a torch to it and try to remove the top if warranted. Everyone agree that the top is not original?

Christmasjoy, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  15. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Yes please just remove the threaded piece and stop. I would leave the top on rather than damage the edge.

Could this be a funeral item? I collected something similar and wonder about it, will probably run across it one day, not quite as tall as yours tho.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  16. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

I'd remove the bottom. Tip it upside down and sweat the top of with a torch. Remove the solder and re-bronze the top. But that's just me:bag:

Christmasjoy, kyratango and antidiem like this.
  17. Marie Forjan

I wouldn’t be able to do it, but I have a friend who could, and I would ask him :)

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.