Asian Boy with Boat Statue - Any Information

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by KikoBlueEyes, Jan 8, 2022.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I waited for three weeks for this statue to come out of the resale shop window before it was placed out for sale. There was a long line of customers waiting, so I wasn't able to examine before I claimed it. I thought it might be bronze from afar, but it appears to be heavily coated metal - you can see where it is chipping away on the hand that holds the removable boat.
    What I am asking is can anyone tell me anything about the subject by the style of dress or the top knot of hair or perhaps the dragon headed boat? I think this is supposed to be a young boy holding his toy boat. I don't know if the boat is removable, so that the same base statue could have held any number of different things, or this was a manufacturing thing.
    The statue including the generic wood base is 14 inches tall and 7 inches wide at its widest point. There are no marks expect the character on the sail.
    I apologize for the photos. I really shouldn't be doing this because I am getting ready to travel to Chile and Patagonia in a few days. I didn't have time to set it up correctly, but I am so intrigued by this statue, I had to ask.

IMG_3104.jpg IMG_3105.jpg IMG_3115.jpg IMG_3106.jpg IMG_3107.JPG IMG_3111.JPG IMG_3112.JPG IMG_3113.JPG IMG_3110.JPG

Figtree3, dude, Boland and 2 others like this.
  2. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    Figtree3, Bronwen, judy and 3 others like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

Excellent catch. I wasn't able to find anything. I agree that this one is newer without the details in the painting that mine has not the wood base. Interesting, I will follow up with the Japanese lead. Thank you very much!

Bronwen, Boland and judy like this.
  4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Figtree3, KikoBlueEyes and Bronwen like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

cxgirl likes this.
  6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

@KikoBlueEyes not sure why the back photos don't show for you on the listing, here is a screenshot of back and side.
    The faces look a bit different, the LA face seems to have thick eyebrows, or maybe it is just photo:)

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 12.36.13 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 12.36.33 PM.png

Figtree3, komokwa and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

I completely missed those. Thank you. You are right, I see the notch now in the back of mine for the cord. You are a doll. Thank you so much!

Figtree3 likes this.