Asian Bowl. Japan? China? Style? Flower?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mill Cove Treasures, May 18, 2016.

1. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I started to search Gotheborg but I'm not sure if I should be searching under Chinese or Japanese marks. I'm not sure if the mark is turned in the right direction. Is it a lotus flower? Is there a name for this style?
    My guess is this is 1980's but it's just a guess. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the mark at another angle

[​IMG]

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Chinese and kind of modern, so the name doesn't matter. The bottom picture of the mark by itself is right side up.

Mill Cove Treasures and tyeldom3 like this.
  3. Mill Cove Treasures

Thank you. Is there a way to tell the difference between Japanese and Chinese lettering?

tyeldom3 likes this.
  4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Chinese, the character on the top right that looks like a square bisected with a line is Chinese. It is sometimes combined with another character forming "Made in China." The "Q" is the factory. The factories are, were, noted with numbers or letters. I suspect this dates from the later half of the 20th century. I'm not sure what company made this. If you scroll down the Gothesborg of Chinese marks to the section "Zhongguo Jingdezhen Made In China (Left to Right)", you will see similar characters in the markings like #s: 1456, 43, etc... You will see factory numbers, letters. Do read the info on this section.

http://gotheborg.com/marks/20thcenturychina.shtml

Do wait others to chime in on a better interpretations of the markings.

Edit: Ooopps, should have said section "Zhongguo Jingdezhen Zhi - China Jingdezhen made (Right to Left)." Look at #s: 235, 519 and 1189. Except for the factory letter, these markings look identical to yours!

--- Susan

Last edited: May 18, 2016
    Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  5. Mill Cove Treasures

Thank you Susan. Those do look identical with the exception of the =Q=! Interesting read on how these marks came about and the confusion surrounding them.

Draft saved Draft deleted