asian bowl how old does it look? said to be antique

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Feb 11, 2022.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

2. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

While this type of ware was made in China from the late 19th c on, the thin translucent enamels of this piece make me think that it was made in mid 20th c.

anundverkaufen and Houseful like this.
  3. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

Hi Sunday Silence,

You also might find this section on Gotheborg helpful.

https://www.gotheborg.com/marks/brownetched.shtml

These brown etched ware began around the Tongzhi era (1862), and the brown borders were orgionally designed like roof tiles, which is what your bowl appears like, it was not until Guangxu period ( 1871) that they introduced the Chenghua Period mark and the brown etched borders began to have quaterfoils and Ruyi designs inserted.

As yours is a roof tile design and does not have the Chengha period mark it might be an earlier item.

As Matt has said mid 20th century is most probable as most Brown etched ware are mid 20th century, and they make them still today. You can try date it by examining the colours typical of that time, and the base brown border design of your bowl is very similar and can be found in many PROC (1960) period brown etched ware. I would assume the bowl is mid 20 the century but keep an open mind that there is a possibility it might be an early Tongzhi brown etched bowl.

Born2it and anundverkaufen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted