Asian Blue Glaze Pottery Pot

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Apr 21, 2015.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

It pretty much looks like the pieces I've seen in TJMaxx and other stores. They usually are made to look old and have artificial crackles, bites and skips on the glaze, blackened areas etc. But I would think they are made to last. This one has quite a lot of damages like the glaze is chipping, cracks and other. But the glaze is too shiny and glossy. I think it is modern.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

This hurts my eyes !
    Why you buyin all broken stuff ?

3. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Yes modern, you can tell easily from the bottom.

4. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Broken looks cool sometimes :).
    What it is with the bottom? Not enough wear or the construction of it?

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That would look very nice in my garden. Lovely colour.

6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I agree, beautiful color and maybe it has been exposed to freezing temps causing the heavily crazed glaze to pop off.

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The bottom has absolutely no wear at all that is the giveaway. I also like the glaze and the "aging" It would be in my garden also. I had to laugh, years ago I planted a large sloping rock garden in the back of my yard. I "salted" with many pieces of broken antique blue and white pottery and pretty glass fragments and old bottles etc. Several years after I moved my neighbors told me that amature treasure hunters were sweeping all over my garden digging holes and using metal detectors thinking it was an old dump.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    I would have loved to seen that.
    greg

dgbjwc likes this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Those three rubber dots on the bottom are indicative of modern imports. I suppose you could find them applied to old pottery but my experience has been that three indicates new. The wide ground base ring and concave bottom are also indicative. Few old companies would grind their bottom rings as wide (Fulper did) or use a concave bottom. Seeing them together, would indicate new to me. Knowing these clues will help to identify new imports. There is a lot of attractive pottery being made new today. While certain features might not automatically mean new, they are clues that need to be used in identification.

9. Tauriel

Tauriel Active Member

I would have snagged that in a heartbeat!! Love the color as well as the old feel, even if it is new! I'd plant some herbs in it!!

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'd put it in the garden and leave it there till it melted back into the earth, then I'd say a prayer to the earth....for forgiveness !:rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted