Asian Art/Decor

Discussion in 'Art' started by Garrison, Mar 3, 2023.

1. Garrison

Garrison New Member

Found these going through my moms estate. Does anyone know anything about these they look relatively new. Thank you! upload_2023-3-3_13-34-20.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
    Figtree3 likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sorry for your loss...........:sorry:

Garrison likes this.
  3. Garrison

Garrison New Member

Thank you!

4. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

They look like Japanese souvenir items to me. The young lady on the fan looks almost anime style. Not quite the depiction I'm used to seeing. What do you think the material is used for that fan? Is it plastic, shellacked cardboard, something else?

Did your Mom ever go on a trip to Japan? Or someone else sent them or brought them back as a gift to her?

You will probably need to post more pictures, from different angles, of the fancy wagon being pulled by the donkey to get any responses. Post all your pictures full size please.;)

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Both of these are Chinese and look fairly recent. Fan might be "chinese style" because the characters don't look quite right to me, but I'm not an expert. Second item is a decorative carriage. Both look like tourist items.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The fan or handscreen is modern Chinese.

The miniature ox carriage is Japanese. It has a flatter roof than Chinese ones, and the yoke-shaped construction on the roof is also Japanese.
    This is a link to an antique one:
    http://aeqai.com/main/2015/03/uncov...ati-art-museum/1911-1371-model-of-an-ox-cart/
    It is the way many Chinese makers have been portraying Chinese ladies since the mid(?) 20th century, the 'doll face style'. You can also see it on 20th and 21st century Chinese ceramics.

7. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Thanks! Lots of carriage variation out there and I could find others with this roof style, but all listed Chinese. It probably has Japanese characters on the underside if I had to guess.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted