Arts & Crafts Vase ID'ed after 30 years !

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by bosko69, Dec 25, 2023.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Congratulations! It is a beautiful vase.

wlwhittier likes this.
  3. bosko69

Thanks AJ.I think his most valuable work with The Kalo Co in Chicago would've been in silver. If I had a proper library,likely would've found him years ag:confused:ur oldest,largest collective back in California had an immense antique & collectible library and was generous to dealers and buyers alike.

wlwhittier, verybrad and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not necessarily so. I don't think this is mainstream information. I doubt that most people interested in A&C metal work would know him. I did not. I think there needs to be a large enough body of work out there to garner enough interest for serious research. Also think some of this research is much easier these days with better genealogical information out there. The time may just have been right for this information to come to light.

wlwhittier, Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. bosko69

Could be right Brad.It's funny but there's just some pieces you hang on to waiting for an answer.

wlwhittier likes this.
  6. verybrad

I have a couple nice arts and crafts metalware pieces without attribution that I have had for 20-30 years. They just have initials so it makes it particularly hard. Would show them here but they are in storage.

First is a finely hammered copper vase just signed J.A. Second is a brass tea caddy identical to an Archibald Knox piece done in pewter for Liberty. It is signed J.B.

I now see your same source has it without attribution.....
    jb.jpg

English Arts & Crafts Archibald Knox Brass Box c1905 | California Historical Design (acstickley.com)

Now that I do a bit more looking, I see other Knox designed pieces with the same initials. Have still not found an attribution. None of this information was available previously when I was looking.

Edit: I now find it attributed to Jennings Brothers. Not sure if this is correct or not.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2023
  7. bosko69

Last edited: Dec 25, 2023
    stracci and verybrad like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

verybrad likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

verybrad likes this.
  10. verybrad

I think I discounted the idea of a Jennings Brothers attribution originally. Just did not seem possible that an American company was producing Knox designs. Doesn't seem so far-fetched now that I find other pieces and, now, this Tiffany copycat.

Yes and no. Could always find some but usually at high prices. Occasionaly found some sleepers. I found the above tea caddy in a Chicago area flea market and bundled it with a Paul Dachsel vase and one other more minor piece for $400.00. The Dachsel has a rim chip but is an incredible piece. I think the dealer had $375.00 on the caddy alone so I was happy.

Actually, have found better bargains around home. Certainly have found more items that the dealers had no clue about.

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

verybrad and Bakersgma like this.
  12. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Yeah...an' if one weren't so interested in acquisition, but put more into research, when that was a lot more difficult, the pile might have been more rapidly diminished. Now I've a houseful of stuff good enough to warrant serious digging, but feel seriously pressed for time...this forum has been a profound blessing in that regard. I am deeply grateful for every bit of illumination offered here!

verybrad likes this.
  13. bosko69

V Brad-You def seem to know your A&C & Pottery.You don't see Daschel out here-of course even if you'd never heard of the guy his stuff's so incredible even the 'newbies' would be grabbing it.
    That's the problem w/ the really valuable items,so often they scream it !
    PS-The prices in yr new 'hunting ground' gotta be way nicer than Chicago.I remember A&C and Deco prices in San Francisco 40 years ago-OUCH !

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
    wlwhittier likes this.
  14. verybrad

A&C pottery and metalwork have been a primary collecting focus for 35 years. like to think I know a bit but am always learning new information. I used to throw crazy money at some good stuff, knowing I could sell it down the road for a profit if I wanted to. That all ended in 2008 when the market dropped off a cliff. These days, I don't buy much unless it is a bargain. The A&C market has crept back a bit so there are not a lot of bargains to be had anymore unless someone doesn't have a clue. My last great bargain A&C find was this large Stickley Brothers 3 handled vase from 2019. Unfortunately, polished but a bargain at $40.00 from a local dealer who should have known better.

[​IMG]

15. bosko69

The Stickley vase a def 'Buy'. Do You know of any trustworthy patina supplies online ? I'd imagine having a pro do it would be stupid expensive.

wlwhittier and verybrad like this.
  16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

trustworthy patina supplies

yah..... age & wear.........which we all have in abundance !!!:playful::playful::playful::playful::playful::hilarious:;);)

17. verybrad

I have the chemical supplies to re-patinate this. Have done several in the past, though nothing this large. Have not gotten around to doing this one as of yet. I may want to polish out some of the scratches first. Someone did this no favors.

wlwhittier and komokwa like this.
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

but, didn't it start off looking like that?
    I get the patina , longed for on such items.....but still...it is what it is.....and no one can take that away ..! Right ???

wlwhittier likes this.
  19. verybrad

Good question. Many of these types of wares came patinated originally. I don't know about Stickley Brothers.

It is what it is but not as good as it could be. Patina is coveted and a restored patina is preferable to polished (At least in the US). Scratches are not coveted, particularly when caused by over-zealous polishing. Proper restoration would involve removing the fine scratches from previous polishing prior to applying a new patina.

This is a good enough piece that a professional job might be warranted. I know that anything I do will not harm it but it might not turn out as good as it could.

lisamerlot, wlwhittier and komokwa like this.
  20. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

If it were mine an' in that condition, I'd find a place in the weather where it could live unmolested for a few years, perhaps turning it every 6 months or so. There would develop a sweet natural patina...honest, sans artifice.
    Once back inside, a light wash an' rinse, then into the cabinet...for the delight of the few who might see an' recognize its subtle beauty.

say_it_slowly and verybrad like this.