Art Sale at thrift today! Roland Moises, M. Delacroix + lots of Haitian art + 2 I need help with

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jun 29, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found a ton (10 - 12) of art at the thrift today; mostly Haitian art, but also a signed limited edition Michael Delacroix, 2 Roland Moises paintings, some posters - and these 2 pieces.
    The first is unusual because it looks like Chinese woodblock prints that have been reversed? (but signature is in same lower left corner of both) - Any idea what this is? Who did it? How old it is?

The 2nd one is a beautiful folk art painting that appears unsigned (there is a name on back frame - artist? customer?) It was so dusty - you can see the cobwebs where I took a close up of the writing on the lower center of painting.
    Any thoughts? Any idea of artist?

As always I appreciate all your help - this site is the BEST!

ART PRINT CHINESE WOODBLOCK PRINTS 2 RED ROBE 1AA.jpg ART PRINT CHINESE WOODBLOCK PRINTS 2 RED ROBE 2AA.jpg ART PRINT CHINESE WOODBLOCK PRINTS 2 RED ROBE 2DAA.jpg ART PRINT CHINESE WOODBLOCK PRINTS 2 RED ROBE 3AAA.jpg ART PRINT CHINESE WOODBLOCK PRINTS 2 RED ROBE 3DAA.jpg

BEAUTIFUL PAINTING FEELS LIKE IT HAS A GLAZE OVER IT?

ART PAINTING PERU WITH A GLAZE 1AA.jpg ART PAINTING PERU WITH A GLAZE 3AA.jpg ART PAINTING PERU WITH A GLAZE 3DAA.jpg ART PAINTING PERU WITH A GLAZE 8AA.jpg ART PAINTING PERU WITH A GLAZE 8DAA.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It says "Listos de..." or "Listos al Corpos [sic] Christi" or "Ready for Corpus Christi" or "Ready People for Corpus Christi." "Autor" is "Author" and that's followed by a signature. Surname something like Suisjalquidi. From the Andes somewhere.

Debora

Potteryplease likes this.
  3. journeymagazine

The artist is from Andes - that helps, thank you!
    Corpus Christi isn't the Texas one is it?

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Corpus Christi is a Catholic feast day that takes place a couple months after Easter. (Corpus Christi is Latin for "the body of Christ.") The name was given to the town in Texas because it was discovered by the Spanish on... you guessed it. Apparently, there's a large celebration and pilgrimage near Cuzco, Peru. Perhaps that's the setting and origin of your work.

Debora

journeymagazine likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

No, I don't think that's in the Cuzco region. Wrong clothing, wrong terrain.

Debora

images.jpg

journeymagazine likes this.
  6. journeymagazine

Any ideas on the Chinese prints? They are set aside for me but I'm not sure if they are just reg. prints or old/unusual/different enough to buy (to resell)- I like them but I have 100s now, so I'm trying to be more disconcerting & check here when I have doubts!
    Thanks (and thank you Debora for the info on the painting!)

7. Antiquefab

Antiquefab Well-Known Member

Could possibly be Ecuador, they have Corpus Christi processions and some of the peoples dress seems to match,from pictures that I have seen.

8. DL64

DL64 New Member

The Chinese prints are door gods, meant to be mounted either side of a front door at new year to protect a home. I can only read a bit of the workshop's seal, which begins "Shandong, Weifang" - ie Weifang town in Shandong province, a famous woodblock-printing centre (they make kites there too). Age of these things is really hard to tell - same designs used for decades, and the paper can age very quickly - but I'd guess early 1980s, when the industry kicked off again after the Cultural Revolution.

Potteryplease likes this.
  9. journeymagazine

Thank you!

10. DL64

DL64 New Member

very welcome - my sole area of speciality!

Draft saved Draft deleted