Art Pottery IDs, Dates, Origin,etc. Lot #2

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by OldWhitby, Aug 30, 2022.

1. OldWhitby

OldWhitby Anything Old

I recently purchased a large lot of art pottery at an auction. Most of it I was able to identify but here are a couple more that I can't track down.

The 1st item is a ceramic fighting cockerel with a crackle glaze. It is a molded piece. It is just under 12" wide and 10" high. The only mark is "M.A." which was likely put on by an earlier owner. For some reason the picture of the underside got pushed to the bottom.

The 2nd piece is a large vase with curled handles and a flared mouth. The top and bottom flares have a matte red glaze that has been carved with a vaguely floral motif. It id signed "Phil". It is 9" high and the top is 7.5" wide

Image293.jpg Image294.jpg Image287.jpg Image288.jpg Image289.jpg Image290.jpg Image292.jpg Image296.jpg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
    judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

That rooster is Chinese or I'll eat my hat.

judy, Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  3. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Well I think it looks American mid-century modern California Pottery. A broad keyword search crackle glaze pottery rooster cockerel got me this, a pair of fighting roosters as planters. The seller is also guessing California Pottery. These are not marked and approximately 10 inches long. Described as heavy.
    https://hotrodtiki-vintage.com/prod...ckle-glaze-american-california-pottery-style/
    Screenshot_2022-08-30-13-03-16.png
    So, no help with ID, but at least you know there's others out there, and in crackle glaze too!

kentworld, judy and komokwa like this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

That pink one has a well for plants.OP's doesnt. I stick by Chinese.They copy everything! :)

judy likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I agree on Chinese on the bird.

judy and johnnycb09 like this.
  6. LauraGarnet02

I'm still going with the mid-century modern American pottery theory, LOL. :)

Red Wing Pottery of Minnesota, for instance, had a crackle glaze line in the 1940s and 50s. That's why the bottoms always look so dirty greyish, because they rub in and wipe off black ink to fill in and accentuate the crackle glaze.

The TV lamp website has the same rooster formed as a TV lamp. The best guess they have is it was made by Royal Fleet Pottery Company. No crackle glaze though.
    http://www.tvlamps.net/rooster_lamps.html
    Screenshot_2022-08-30-14-25-21.png
    Screenshot_2022-08-30-14-26-01.png
    http://www.tvlamps.net/rooster_lamps.html

Okay, we know there's a mold for a planter of this rooster and a TV lamp mold. I still haven't found one that is just a figurine with no other purpose. But it sure looks like all these pieces came from the same line of molds, most likely from the same pottery company.

I've heard stories, all the way back from the old eBay PGP board days, of various pottery company molds ending up as hobby shop molds when a company went out of business and sold everything off. It could be speculated that this is the case with these crackle glazed roosters. Those initials on the bottom of the foot could indicate hobbyist work.

kentworld and MR.YANG like this.
  7. MR.YANG

MR.YANG New Member

I am a Chinese, as a dealer, I want to tell you, this chicken is not made in China, China has been in the field of porcelain is original, is the European people copied in China. thank you

Figtree3 and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

is it a large hat??;):playful::playful:

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  9. LauraGarnet02

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The lettering looks a bit like Japanese Kanji to me. But maybe not. Of course, if these were copied in other countries that could mean a lot of things. This refers to the one that @LauraGarnet02 found on eBay, not the one posted to start this thread.

johnnycb09 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted