Art Pottery IDs, Dates, Origin 1st lot

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by OldWhitby, Aug 30, 2022.

1. OldWhitby

OldWhitby Anything Old

I recently purchased a large lot of art pottery at an auction. Most of it I was able to identify but here are a few that I can't track down.

The first is a brutalist vase which is signed with a clear "LE" mark with 4 dots and a line. It is 7.25" high.

The second has a high gloss mottled green glaze at the top and the bottom. The middle section has six panels, all different, which have a mechanistic appearance. They have a coppery finish and the greenish matte glaze around parts of it suggest that it is supposed to look like old copper. my initial impression was that these were carved but the even level of the background leads me to believe that these were applied. Some of the panels have a vaguely ecclesiastical theme and the reticulation may be meant to resemble stained glass windows. The 'dirt' does not come off with any normal cleaning so I'm inclined to think it was deliberate too. It is 10" high. There are no identifying marks that I've been able to find. The closest thing that I've been able to find is Italian - Raymor Bitossi. If the bottom and inside are any indication the clay is pinkish.

Image273.jpg Image275.jpg Image276.jpg Image279.jpg Image277.jpg Image280.jpg Image281.jpg Image282.jpg Image285.jpg Image284.jpg

wlwhittier and Aquitaine like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Second one looks commercial gift or decor ware to my eye.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

1st looks like a students work...simple and not well thought out....:meh:

4. OldWhitby

OldWhitby Anything Old

'Commercial' to me says mass produced but this vase appears to have way too much handwork to be mass produced.

Draft saved Draft deleted