Featured Art nouveau pottery signature help please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by NTC Collector, Apr 3, 2021.

1. NTC Collector

NTC Collector Well-Known Member

AAD766F4-D5A1-4ACB-94DD-10BFAC3EAAE7.jpeg 2694913C-37E6-46E2-BA50-EA5277198520.jpeg hi all, I can’t decipher what the signature on this vase says and hoping someone can help. I’m guessing French or Belgian? Looks early 20th C to me. It’s about 21cm tall. Found Pont Des Vernes pottery that has very similar glazes but signature doesn’t seem to match. Any help appreciated. 898D1A0F-DDA6-4BCA-99BA-3ECE40C2C736.jpeg

cxgirl, judy and elarnia like this.
  2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

hard one. second part of siggy seems to be Frères (brothers). similar glazes by Denbac (Denert et Balichon), Eugène Baudin and many others .

cxgirl, judy and NTC Collector like this.
  3. NTC Collector

Thanks, yes thought it was Freres also - I know Boch Freres (but not seen a signature like this) and found a Rocher Freres (can’t find one signed like this either)....other Freres that did pottery?...’tis a mystery

cxgirl likes this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

upload_2021-4-4_9-47-47.jpeg

cxgirl likes this.
  5. NTC Collector

Found it - @Fid you were correct, it’s Denbac but signed Cointreau Frere et fil. I gather they produced bottles for the liquer, alas this one well and truly all drunk :) Nice to have that mystery solved and an interesting outcome. Thanks for your help.

kentworld, cxgirl, judy and 3 others like this.
  6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

JMHO, it is a lovely piece but I don't see Art Nouveau in the design. It may have been in the era but I don't see the style.

8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

during art nouveau and specially during fin de siècle (or belle époque) everything "strange" and foreign was interesting and used in art as an influence. best known is Japonism, lesser known is the influence of African forms from the colonies, which we have here; it's a calebasse which is called gourde in French and existed in different forms till the 1920s.
    [​IMG]

kentworld, Tanya, patd8643 and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted