Featured Art nouveau mounted pottery

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by NTC Collector, Oct 21, 2023.

1. NTC Collector

NTC Collector Well-Known Member

BF16711A-CCD3-4077-9FC8-3EC66A082DD9.jpeg 8737D0D0-CAF8-4EE8-B41F-A5B765EC53A4.jpeg 330D5734-A0A4-4672-A5E2-349BF470AD01.jpeg D501D311-7FE5-4DBB-B45A-AD9E43DE8887.jpeg 0DB6049C-90E8-4197-A957-BE591DF8E7B9.jpeg Hi all, I’m hoping someone can help to identify these little vases/pots in gilded metal mounts. They measure just 9cm high and 8cm wide. The pottery looks maybe Belgian or French? I’m not sure if there’s a feint mark in a shield on the base of one or just my imagination The mounts have lions paws and flowers. All help appreciated.

komokwa, johnnycb09, judy and 4 others like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Totally agree, the pottery is Belgian or French. Those ormolu mounts look French to me too.

3. NTC Collector

NTC Collector Well-Known Member

Many thanks @Ownedbybear
    I’ve just relooked at the feet and I think they’re eagle claws. Perhaps French, Austrian or German are all possibilities for the mount? It’s of course possible the mounts may have been applied by a retailer…

johnnycb09 and judy like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Could have been made anywhere, but it is likely they were also made in Belgium or France.

5. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Whenever I see glaze pooling like that on the base, I think Belgian. And Belgium is next to France, so mounts could easily come from there.

NTC Collector and Figtree3 like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Belgium was an Art Nouveau hotspot too, with excellent craftspeople.

kentworld and NTC Collector like this.
  7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

It's probably just me, but the mounts don't have any Art Nouveau about them. Much to realistic, no Art Nouveau styling. They could be from the same time period, but not Art Nouveau.

JMHO :)

Draft saved Draft deleted